Chapter Forty-One

In the months that followed at sea, it seemed that everyone was worried over the pirates that had burned the port to the ground. The rest of the men didn't know why it had happened, or who had done it, and it wasn't sitting well with any of them. We seized four ships in the time it took to reach Tortuga, and, in each instance, we kept looking over our shoulders, waiting for the bloodthirsty brutes to show up and torch us.

As the town came into view, obviously safe from destruction, there was a collective sigh heard from everyone on board.

"Home is safe," a man next to me muttered. "Thank the heavens. I was fearful we'd find her in shambles. Do ye think they heard about what happened?"

"We might be the first ship to bring the news," I replied. "I'm sorry, did you say this was your home?"

"Aye," he answered, grinning widely, his gums showing signs of scurvy. "Every pirate's home! I pray that if I finally fall under the sword or hangman's noose, the Lord sends me back here instead of to heaven!"

"I'll hope so, too," I laughed.

"We'll depart by order of rank!" John Butler yelled over the din of excitement. "Get the ship in to port, perform yer duties well, and we'll all be ashore in no time!"

The men jumped into action, clearly wanting to go ashore, but I made my way to the railing, marveling at the hue of the water and the island itself. Everything was alight with color, like someone had snapped a picture and cranked up the density.

"We won't stay long," Tristan said from behind me, causing me to turn. "If Thomas is attempting to steal the treasure, he won't do it just from port. He'll go straight to the island and tear it apart if he has to."

"What are you going to do when we finally catch him?" I asked, swallowing hard. The expression on his face was answer enough and I looked away, sick to my stomach suddenly.

"Do ye not agree that it needs to be done?" he questioned, brushing my hair from my back and over my shoulder.

"I do," I laughed humorlessly. "That's what makes me feel so sick. It's not my place to decide his fate, but here I am, doing just that."

"Sometimes, one man must lose his life for the good of the rest, aye?" He spoke softly, leaning up against the railing next to me and watching the crew. "Evil can not be left unattended and expected to remain contained."

"What will happen if he gets what he wants? If he digs up the treasure and takes it?" I was trying to remain quiet, watching for anyone who might be listening too closely, but my voice caught some, causing me to cough and draw attention to us.

Waiting to answer, Tristan spoke with one of the crewmates, asking about his shore leave plans. "We won't tarry long," he told him. "Make sure the other men know."

"Aye, Captain," the man stated, returning to his duties as the ship sailed into the harbor.

"There are things down there that could destroy the earth and every being on it." Tristan's voice was calm, despite the heaviness of his words. "We must do everything we can to stop him."

Nodding, I pushed away from the rail, kissing him gently on the cheek before I went to the galley to help Alfonso with whatever he needed.

"Señorita," he said in surprise at my appearance. "I thought you would be staying above with el capitán."

"I always come and help you," I laughed. "It's my job, remember?"

"," he replied uncertainly. "It's just—I know something is wrong, señorita. The whole crew does. What happened before is not sitting well with them. You are privy to the information, no?"