Chapter Thirty-One

He'd slept then, leaving everyone else in anticipation of what he would say at sunset. When the time came, we gathered around a large bonfire on the beach, the night sky lit up above us, the ocean gently lapping the shore. The jungle of Madagascar lay beyond the sand, appearing as evil and deceptive in the dark as the men who'd disappeared into it.

Logs cracked in the fire, sparks spitting out as the flames rose ever higher, casting shadows among the men and making it look like an entire country had gathered to hear what was to be said. Tristan stood in front of the blaze, staring into it, his torso unclothed, bandages shining in the light. Silence extended toward him as we all waited for him to be ready.

"Ye have elected me as yer captain," he finally spoke, loud and clear so that all would hear. "I will do my best to serve ye. But know this—I am not Rodrigues. I ran his ship for him, but there were things that I didn't like, things he wanted or bade me tolerate because I wasn't in charge. It is for these reasons that we meet tonight."

Turning from the fire, he began to move around the circle, looking at each man. He had such an air of authority about him that they seemed to shrink under his stare, faces kept neutral as he studied them, continuing his speech. "We are men at arms. Brothers. We have a code that we follow, and yet that code is broken. Why? What can be changed to make us more efficient? To become better fighters? I propose to lay out a new code, here, tonight, that will be law under my command. What say ye?"

"Aye!" John Butler yelled a few spots down from me. A couple other men responded just as enthusiastically, all the others simply murmuring their consent. I did as well, feeling he was addressing me just as much as them.

"A pirate code is a delicate thing," he persisted, crossing to the other side of the fire. "A law that is followed by the lawless. Know that we will focus on each item as a group and vote in favor or against the conditions. Ye are my family, not men suffering under a tyrannical rule. We make the decisions together."

More cries of approval rang out and I smiled. He had a way with words when he spoke to them. There was no doubt in my mind that they would agree to anything he asked.

"Let us begin." He circled back to our side of the fire, folding his free arm around his sling. "Every man will continue to have an equal vote in all matters, as well as an equal share in all booty."

There was general understanding to this provision, seeing as that was something they already had in place. The same happened when he stated that they were not to steal from each other and that any man who did so would be put ashore at the next sight of land.

"There is to be no gambling on board the ship," he stated, pausing for a moment at the outcry that suddenly rained down upon him. As the noise began to lessen, he held his hands up for peace. "Gambling can lead to a man feeling cheated, or even stolen from. By yer own terms, there is to be no stealing. This law can not abide without the other, savvy?"

The men grumbled among themselves, not happy with the suggestion. I could tell that they saw the wisdom in it, though, and slowly, they began to vote in favor of including it in their code.

"Very well," Tristan sighed, thinking before he started again. "I also propose that we instigate a curfew, to save on precious light commodities and lessen the amount of drunkards snoring in our faces each night."

The men laughed at this, jabbing each other, but one spoke up in disagreement. "Do ye propose we not drink at all, Captain?" he asked.

"No," Tristan hurriedly replied. "Only that if ye wish to do so after curfew, ye must do so above deck, so as to not disturb those around ye."