Chapter 13

Lyra looked over at Harry and Willow before giggling and going back to her letter to Colby. She tapped her gold colored ballet flats against the chair leg to the music that Aunt Luna had put on for the kids during free time.

Harry was currently looking and organizing his wizarding card collection while Willow gleefully buried him in pillows.

Sabine was over by her mum, playing with some of the younger ones at her Mum's child care center as they needed constant attention, especially those that seemed to be coming into their accidental magic age, where little spurts of uncontrollable magic occurred when they got emotional.

Lyra tapped her pencil against her chin as she wandered how to end the letter. As much as she wanted Colby to be there with them, she didn't want to sound like a baby like her younger siblings that demanded for Colby to come home now. She wanted to sound more mature. Merlin forbid she ever sounded as desperate as James Sirius Potter. That boy didn't know space even if it was written on his forehead!

"Something's not right." Hermione muttered as she read her latest case. This time it was a mother accused of killing her own child. But too many things didn't add up. However the mother was unable to speak or do much for that matter. She was unresponsive since they found her laying down next to her child's lifeless body, clutching her wand. A mere three year old boy with a small gap from just losing his front tooth. They had tried everything to get the mother to say something, but they got nothing in return and with no clues pointing elsewhere, they had arrested the mother for the death and neglect of her own child. Her husband though was adamant his wife could never have harmed their child and it was the death that had drove her insane, but even he had less to offer. He was a muggle that did not understand wizarding law or even their ways. No one regarded him as a source except Hermione.

It was something he said that struck Hermione.

"She didn't kill Sacha! She didn't! I don't know what a deatheater is but my wife, there are few things I'm sure about in this life but my wife's love for our son wasn't one of them. As soon as we learned she was pregnant, she did everything not to make a mishap or put the baby in danger in anyway. And when he was born, every hour without fault, my wife would go to watch over him with the most careful touch, almost afraid she'd hurt him if she was any less gentle. She was always afraid that she'd do something but I knew she wouldn't, she loved him with every part of her. She always called him her redemption. Redemption for what I don't know. But my wife loved our son and would have given up her life for him. I know this because what I feel for her is the same. I don't know what happened, but I know she didn't kill Sacha. You must believe me." He has said before crying as he had lost both his wife and child in one swoop.

Sometimes she wasn't why she chose the path she did in her line of work. It sometimes felt like one tragedy after another. And her heart was hurting almost more than she could bare these days Hermione couldn't help but think as she closed her eyes and put her hand on her lips so she wouldn't let out the frustrated scream she'd been holding in. Something wasn't right but what?

"I don't know what a Death Eater is..."

Death Eater? Hermione blinked as she thought again about what Timothy Young had said. Death eater, he didn't know what a death eater was.

How the bloody hell did Hermione miss that. Death Eater, that wasn't in her reports!

Looking once back to double check, Hermione went thoroughly through her reports again just to be sure. Nothing, there was nothing on Maria Villiers Young being a death eater in her reports. But... She was missing two pages. The numbers on the bottom jumped from 93 to 96.

"Blaise!" Hermione yelled as she ran from her office to her friend's.

Before she made it however, an alarm went off. It wasn't just any alarm but one that indicated that a part of the ministry had been breached! All the hairs on the back of her neck stood up as she bolted because the second ring just told her that the children's nursery and care center had been the area that was under attack.

"Hermione!" Blaise screamed as he came running after her, already catching up to her with his longer strides.

Hermione didn't say anything however as she ran, her heart pounding so hard that she could barely hear any of the chaos going around her, except for her heart beat and the alarm that haunted her nightmares.

The whole room was enveloped in complete darkness. On cue all the little ones began to cry as they realized quickly that something was wrong.

"Lu-" Luna didn't get to finish.

"Ephialtes" a spell was cast on Luna.

Screams were heard from the children as the robed figures could now be seen. "Sonorus" a woman whispered as she casted the spell to make the children's screams even louder than they were. Sound of footsteps and spells could be heard getting more aggressive as angry ministry workers and most of all parents, became more desperate and paranoid because they could not get past the barrier that they had created. It would only last five minutes but it was impenetrable.

"There!" A thunderous voice echoed in the dark, finding one of their targets at last.

"Where are the other two?" Another asked but before another could answer, they could all hear the famed Hermione Malfoy nee Granger cast a spell to reveal their barrier, including a small nick that allowed the rest of the barrier to be impenetrable. It seemed instead of a full five minutes they had been promised with the thousand galleons they had spent to attain the spell, they barely had two minutes to complete their plan and now mere seconds left. With that, the portkey was activated as they grabbed their target.

Just as Hermione and the rest had been able to bring the barrier down, a scream could be heard echoing of Lyra Malfoy screaming for her mum.

!-!

Hi Everyone,

This story has been such a slow burn, but I'm so honored that so many of you guys have stuck by me. I appreciate it so much. So this is the climax, where I have been trying to get to for a long time, but just finally found a way to write it to my liking. Hope you can stick with me a little longer as I give the story a proper plot and move it along!

Thank you!

bookworm1993