Chapter 3: Alive But Dead Inside

-JxK-

3:00 AM

Gotham City, New York

After waking up from her unexpected slumber, she notices right away that she's not at the warehouse anymore. As she looks around and observes her surroundings, she also notes that some of the windows on both sides of her are boarded and that she's in what seems to be a dimly lit, abandoned three-room apartment. Still being weak from the Kryptonite, she sits up slowly off of the black couch.

She finds it strange that her limbs aren't restrained. "You're awake," the gruff auto tuned voice said as he entered through the patio window behind her and pulls up a chair in front of her. She wears a scowl on her face as she glares at him like she expects her heat vision to burn holes through his helmet.

Crossing her arms over her chest, she speaks up, "What do you want from me? Why am I here?"

He goes to the refrigerator to grab a bottle of water for her. He puts a pistol on the table, then stares at her for a few moments before speaking, "Just your undivided attention."

"Yeah, cause I have a choice in the matter," she replies sarcastically as she rolls her eyes. She then eyes the gun on the table suspiciously.

"Don't worry, I don't want to use that. And I don't remember you being a smartass," he says while taking off his dark brown leather hoodie.

"And I don't remember being associated with a psychopathic murderer like you, so I guess we both have bad memory," she replies bitterly.

"Touché. Don't worry Blondie, we'll get to that part soon but right now, I need to share some important info with you. The reason for our little chat. But first, I'm going start with a backstory." She scoffs at the nickname and raises an eyebrow. She listens intently as he begins speaking.

"Once upon a time, there was a boy who grew up on the streets of Gotham. His biological parents didn't give a shit about him. Even his own mom, who he thought loved him, betrayed him and got him killed. But before then, he met a blonde gal with the brightest blue eyes he's ever seen. Her blonde hair shined like the sun. They fell in love and were happy together, until he died. She was his angel, his salvation, his reason for living. After his death, an accomplice in his murder was furious. Apparently, he only wanted him kidnapped, not killed. So to correct his mistake, he brought him back from the dead. The boy painfully returned to life a year later by The Lazarus Pit."

He pauses to make sure that she's still listening, then continues when he notices her attention on him still. He can see the interest and curiosity within her sky blue eyes as she listens to his life story.

"But his glorious return to life had many side effects. The pit water had mutated his blood stream, altering his body and appearance. His blue eyes are now a greenish blue. His shaggy dark hair now has a white tuft of hair near his forehead, and he has abilities that no ordinary human being has. For two years he roamed the outskirts of Gotham, killing innocent people. And it turns out, his soul wasn't returned to his body during his resurrection. The soul of a murderer took his place during those years.

A group of monks called the All Caste performed an exorcism on him to restore his lost soul. Their leader Talia Al Ghul trained him and made him what some would call a "killer" for two more years before she eventually betrayed him like his mom did. Except this time, he didn't die. He got an army of men together and started "cleansing" Gotham his way. He never contacted his girl, despite still being in love with her. But every now and then, he'd deliver flowers to her doorstep. He figured after years of being gone, she moved on. Even if he wasn't happy without her in his life, he was willing to sacrifice his happiness for hers. Despite being in love with her, he felt undeserving of that love."