Chapter 5: Don't Leave Me

-CxC-

Conner's eyes widen in shock as he stares at Cassie, his body stiffens slightly under her observant gaze. Cassie switches her gaze toward her surroundings, she internally admires the craftsmanship of the unfinished but highly detailed 4 room cabin, he's always shown a skill for construction.

She notes the large bay window that shows the beautiful forest around her. Conner glances towards the curled up mop of white fur near the corner of the living room, the scene almost makes him want to face palm.

Wolf snores slightly in his sleep, dreaming of sausage fields and steak clouds. Cassie follows Conner's gaze, she chuckles lightly before speaking, "Poor guy's exhausted. Don't worry, he put up a good fight until he recognized my scent, he missed me." She smiles warmly at the dog. She then looks up at Conner, noticing his remorseful, loving gaze on her.

Tears well up in her eyes as she remembers what caused their disrupted relationship, Luthor. Conner 's expression saddens at the sight of her tears. He wants nothing more than to comfort the love of his life, but decides against it at the thought of making it worse.

"You left me, Conner. You left without telling me, without saying goodbye," she states with a hint of anger in her voice.

"Cassie I-"

"I kept telling you it wasn't your fault, I begged you to stop blaming yourself for what that monster did to you, our friends, us. But you didn't listen, you made things worse by paying him a visit, by leaving."

His muscles stiffen after hearing her mention what he did to him, to Luthor. As terrible as it was, it could never compare to what Luthor did to other people. He can't help but replay the scenes in his head.

Flashback: The year 2014

The office door rips open as the fuming super-human stomps angrily toward a shocked Lex Luthor. He tosses Mercy's robotic head towards the glass trophy case in the office, the case shatters into sharp glossy pieces. The half kryptonian lifts Luthor by the scruff of his neck, his eyes blaze a sinister red as he growls lowly as the man in his grip laughs.

Lex's chuckles stop immediately after the grip around his throat tightens in a vice like grip, he tries to gasp for air as he claws at the hands around his throat.

"I trusted you! Clark warned me, everyone warned me! But I didn't listen, because I tried to see the best in you! You used me...broke me. You turned me against my family, my friends...the love of my life! I hurt them! I-I hurt her..." He chokes up as the searing red in his eyes disappear and are replaced with broken, angry, and teary blue ones.

The worst part was that he remembered every detail of what he did. It was like being trapped in a shell inside your body. You'd lose complete control of your body, watching helplessly as your body did what it pleased. Before going on a dinner date with his girlfriend, he had made a stop at Luthor's house to show him the ring. But to his surprise, a box full of red kryptonite occupied the big mansion instead of the billionaire himself.

He had screamed in anguish while trying to pound his way out of his predicament, bruising his knuckles in the process as he watched himself brutally pound them into bloody pulps.

He had sighed internally in mild relieve when Martian Manhunter and Batman took him out. After he woke up, he had learned the condition of everyone. Cassie was a mild case with two broken ribs, bruises on her upper body, and a sprained ankle. The rest were lucky to be alive.

The grip around the bald mans throat loosens, he coughs bitterly for a moment.

"You wouldn't kill me! Your kind doesn't operate like that. And even if you did, you wouldn't have the balls. Not if she's still in your life after this. The way I see it, I did you a favor." Lex snarls out as he grins evilly.