[ EPILOGUE ]

It took a lot for Lola and George to move on from each other. It wasn't easy. The first year after they'd broken up, George still called, and Lola still picked up. They saw each other once in a while. George sent letters, but Lola ignored them. He kept hoping she would change her mind, but Lola never did.

One day, George called, and Lola didn't answer. That was the end of their casual relationship. Lola would sometimes be places where George was. They didn't exactly run in different social circles. Sometimes they'd only just miss each other. Lola would arrive at a party George was going to attend, but left before he did. Sometimes he would leave before she arrived. Other times, they'd be in the same place but not cross each others paths.

George went off to marry a model he'd met during A Hard Day's Night. Pattie. They'd apparently gone on a date just before he started dating Lola. She didn't keep up with them very much, she only heard things about what they were doing here and there. She did hear about their separation though, that was impossible not to hear about.

It was 1974.

Lola was dragged to a party by Addy she didn't want to attend.

"I'm getting a little too old to be attending these many parties," Lola said. She never thought she would hear herself say those words, but it was true. She was 35 now. She couldn't bounce back as well as she used to.

"I'm with you on that one," Charlie agreed. Charlie didn't enjoy public affection, but he did like holding Lola's hand. In the darkness, he intertwined their hands.

"Tu merde," Addy said. "You two are not old."

"You are, though." He teased her.

Addy shoved his shoulder, causing Charlie to brush shoulders with someone else. "I heard George's going to be here."

"Oh, come on," she laughed. She'd been seeing George for the last decade. Charlie smiled and went to get Lola a drink. Meanwhile, Lola tried to ignore the thought of George being in the same party as her. She always thought about what she would say if she did see him, but often forgot it by the next party.

"Lols," she heard someone say. Her head spun. She turned around quickly and stared at George. Lola's face broke into a smile. She let out a loud shriek of surprise, and wrapped her arms around him. George hugged her back, laughing. "I wasn't sure if it was you."

"We've been seeing each other for the past decade, haven't we?"

"We have." Their hug ended. Their was a brief period of awkwardness as they just stared at each other.

"You look good."

"So do you," George said. "I heard about that," he motioned to the ring on her finger. "Congratulations."

"Oh," Lola nodded her head. She didn't know where he had heard the news from, but she appreciated it. "Thank you."

"How are you doing?"

"I'm doing well," she replied. When the next song started, Lola slowly started to move to the music. Even with George in front her, she was scanning the crowds for Charlie. He wasn't the best dancer, but he made the effort for her.

"George?" She heard someone say.

"Over here!"

The woman excused herself as she made her way past people. She smiled at George. She noticed Lola, her expression falling a little as she did.

"This is Olivia," George said. He wrapped an arm around her.  It took her a moment to process his words, then she smiled brightly. She hadn't known he had met someone else. "This is Lola," he said, to Olivia.

They shook hands together.

George looked so happy with Olivia, and Olivia really didn't pay attention to anyone but him. They took a seat, and asked Lola to join them. She took a seat, and waited for Charlie to find her. A few minutes later of small talk, Charlie appeared.

"Charlie," Lola said. "Sit down," Charlie handed her the drink, and Lola made the introductions. "This is George, and Olivia."

"George, and Olivia," Charlie shook their hands. He took a seat next to Lola on the couch. They spoke for sometime, about work, and about traveling.

At one point, Lola patted Charlie's leg. "Should we dance?"

"Alright, Simon," he grabbed her hand, and they dance. After a few minutes of neither of them speaking, Charlie spoke up. "How's it like seeing him after so long?"

Lola thought about the question, and only camr up with a single word, "strange."

"Strange?" Charlie suggested. "Should I start getting jealous?"

She playfully hit his shoulder. "Of course not."

» » »

       Strangely nice, is how George described seeing Lola after so long. She hadn't aged a day. She still had radiant, young skin, and she was still so beautiful. And she looked so happy. When Lola was about to leave, and Olivia was in the restroom, George took the chance to say goodbye.

He called out her name.

Lola turned around.

"So, you're heading home?" He asked. It was a stupid question. Yes, she was heading home. But he couldn't think of what to say. He didn't think he'd see her again for a very long time. And he still wasn't sure what one said in one of those cases.

"Yes," Lola said. "Charlie is getting the car."

"It was nice running into you."

She smiled. "It was nice seeing you too. Do you know something, do you remember you the bad sketches of the outside you made?"

"When we were in the room in the venue with no window?"

"Yes," she nodded. "I kept them. I didn't realize I had, until I was going through some papers the other day."

"Strange," George said.

"I thought so too," she said. Lola turned her head towards a car across the street. Charlie waved, and Lola waved back. "My good old friend—"

She opened her mouth to say more, but she closed it. She looked at him, and George looked back. He could tell she too was okay with the idea of never seeing him again, of this being their eternal goodbye.

Lola had met Charlie. George had met Olivia, and he couldn't remember a time when he felt happier. Things hadn't turned out perfectly that night, as they didn't live in a perfect world, but they had turned out alright.

And alright was all Lola and George needed.