Interviews

Alice's POV

I stayed silent during our meal. Erik noticed something was up being as I'm normally a chatter box. He kept his intense gaze on me throughout the meal as if to force me to say what was on my mind.

He sighed in defeat. "Alice, what is bothering you?"

I scratched at my arm nervously. "I.. was just thinking back to our old life... I'm feeling a little homesick is all," I half lied.

"You and I both know I can tell when you're lying to me." Erik said, his deep and velvet voice sending goosebumps down my arms, a feeling I've grown quite accustomed to. "Now. Tell me the truth."

I hesitated. I knew what his answer would be so there was no point in bringing it up. But I went ahead anyways, knowing it would bother him to keep secrets. "Well, at the meeting today, Cindy said that we need to do some interviews and we also discussed sending out short little clips of the cast rehearing or singing."

"Go on.." he coaxed, knowing there was more to the story.

"Well, she also mentioned that everyone is dying to meet the Phantom. And the producer. I was thinking-"

"No." He cut me off quickly.

"You didn't even let me finish!" I argued back.

"I am putting my neck out far enough even being in this production, you know I cannot stand the attention. The answer is no."

"But Erik-"

"I said NO!" He slammed his fist on the table making me jump in fear. I've made the old Erik return.

I put my head down, not daring to meet his gaze. "I'm sorry. I shouldn't have brought it up."

He was quite for a while and I thought he had left the room. But instead I was startled with his soft fingers tilting my chin up to look him in the eyes.

"Alice, I'm sorry. I'm trying to control that side of me. I shouldn't have snapped like that. Please forgive me." His words sounded like poison to me all of a sudden.

Fear lased through my veins and I quickly jumped away from him, knowing those words all too well. "Dont." I quickly said, with my voice shaking. All I could picture were HIS eyes.

"Alice are you okay? You're as white as a ghost right now." He took a step forward and I took an immediate one back. Realization came to his eyes. "Alice I'm not like him, you know that." I stayed where I was. He slowly started to hum a sweet tune to me and finally I was able to relax a bit. He gently pulled me into his arms. "I'm not like him I promise."

"I know it's just... you do things that remind me of him." I said quietly. He stayed quite, beckoning me to continue. "Like the way you force me to do some things, snap very quickly, break things when angry. I can't help it. Ever since we talked about him the other night he's returned to my nightmares. I haven't even thought of him since leaving."

He placed a gentle kiss on my head. "I'm working on my flaws. I know I've hurt you in the past but I could never bring myself to lay a finger on you. I love you so much."

I pulled back so I can look him in the eyes. "I know. I also have to work on my own flaws, like being so jumpy and afraid." I kissed his cheek. "Let's just forget about him for the night." I smiled up at him.

"Yes. Good idea." We smiled at each other and headed for bed, but in the back of my mind I knew I couldn't keep his eyes out of my head. And I had a feeling I would be seeing his evil eyes very soon.

-- A few weeks later --

I rubbed my sweaty hands on my pants, nerves about to take over. Vincent stood next to me and placed a comforting hand on my own. "We got this," he whispered with a wink.