Needles (Yu Kanda x reader)

The train was racing fast trough the woods, the sun was shining and you were already bored of this trip. Your partner was snoozing next to you with his head leaned on your shoulder. You left out a small sight and rested your head lazily in the fist of your cold hand, looking out the window at the never ending forest.
- Are we there yet? you whispered to yourself bored.
- No. Your partner whispered back to you on a low tone.
- I thought you were sleeping.
- How can I sleep when you keep moving around as if you are sitting on needles? He continued with his eyes closed slightly irritated.
- No one asked you to lean your head against my shoulder. You said while pouting.
You and your partner, Yu Kanda, were quite alike when it would come down to battle, training or simply relaxing, yet your personalities were opposite. He would always leave feelings aside when taking any decision, you on the other hand would take the rational decision taking in consideration the feeling of others and their reaction to the situation. Put in short he was cold as ice and you were the warmth that he needed so he can remain humane.
About three years ago Komui made the dumb decision to send you both on a mission, decision based on the sole purpose of making you two bond, drawing you closer to each other as you and Kanda would always argue or contradict each other.
Even to this day you always get in arguments but on the battle field you two are a perfect match. Its as if you would be one mind, one soul always balanced.
Arrived at the train station you and him continued your journey by foot.
- If we make haste we can be there in two days. He said approximating the distance on the map.
- But i don't want to "make haste". You disagreed
- Fine then, do as you please, He put the map in his coat and started walking.
- Are you just going to leave me here?! You yelled after him while slightly running closing the gap between the two of you.
- Yes. He answered cold and without hesitation. You are slowing me down.
- Why do we always have to hurry? You asked irritated.
- The faster we finish the better. Simple as that. He was slightly annoyed by your obvious questions.
- Oh whatever. You left out a sigh and rolled your eyes while silently following him.
The night fell rather quick since it was the middle of spring, It caught you two in the middle of the forest. Everything was covered by the dark shroud of the night and weird sounds were coming from deeper in the woods.
- Yu, I am scared. You said on a theatrical tone and ran to grab his arm.
- Quit acting like a child and stop calling me by that name. He frowned looking menacing at you.
- Pff...you are no fun. You pouted again.
Few hours later he stopped and you bumped into him, not paying attention to the road but scouting the surroundings.
- Huh?...why did you stop? A small surprise joined your question.
- We are resting here for the night.
Although you and him had incredible stamina and could walk a day and a night, some rest was always welcomed.
- Let's look for some firewood for the night. Kanda said on a cold tone.
- Let's meet here in a half an hour. You said cheerful.
While looking for the firewood you saw a firefly and playfully followed it "No harm in having a bit of fun" you thought, but when you finished that thought you slipped on the wet leaves and slided rapidly to the edge of a ravine. You desperatley tried to grab on to something, it was useless, the thin grass and rotten roots were to weak to sustain your weight and stop you.
Soon you reached the edge and closed your eyes preparing for the impact but then a warm hand grabbed your muddy one and stopped you from falling. The moment you stopped a small shock wave ran trough your body and you opened your eyes.
- Yu! You yelled surprised, relived and glad that he was there to catch you.
- I can't leave you alone for two seconds cause you go all suicide. He sighed and pulled you up.
- Thanks. you said a bit embarrassed of the way you looked. All muddy.
- And how many times have I told you not to call me by that name. He was always irritated by people calling him "Yu"
You did not reply as you felt a bit guilty by being distracted by a mere firefly and losing all the firewood you have gathered.
- I'm sorry. You appologized on a hesitant voice, but he did not reply.
Returned to the rally point he started the fire while you took a seat next to it leaning on a tree. Shortly after your stomach started grumbling, that was the queue that it needed food. You remembered that you had some snacks stashed in you pocket of your coat but when you looked for them they were nowhere to be found.
- Where could they be? You whispered in despair while looking frantically in each and every one of your pockets.
Suddenly a thought ran trough your mind "I must have dropped them in the ravine or while sliding". A dark cloud of sadness embraced you.
- Here, Kanda threw a snack at you, eat this it will keep you from starving.
You reached out to it and let out a whispering "Thanks"
It was around midnight when the fire went out and a cold wind started blowing. You weren't asleep just dozing off when the cold took over and woke you up.
You looked around. Everything was enveloped in darkness. The fire stopped burning only some red charcoal was left behind and Kanda was sleeping soundly leaned on a tree. It was silent and cold. You gathered your knees to your chest to keep yourself warm but it was useless, the cold wind would cut through your clothes making you shiver.
- What am I going to do with you? He asked while a tired sigh escaped his lips.
You did not reply, you already felt bad for the snacks and the firewood so you didn't want to burden him more.
Kanda got up and walked over to you. He then sat down and pulled you in his arms. You once again said nothing as you didn't know what to say. Thanking him again would be meaningless after you thanked him all night.
- Don't get me wrong, it would be a pity to lose my favorite sparing partner. He broke the silence on a low warm voice.
You couldn't help but smile and blush when you looked at him seeing gentleness in his eyes.
In the morning you continued your journey and by noon you arrived at the village you had to investigate.
- You said two days. You were a bit surprised by your early arrival.
- I estimated based on your stamina. He said with no inflexion in his voice,
"He actually cares about me. First, last night and now this" you started blushing cause for a while now you would have deeper feelings for him but you didn't know how to name them.
The village was all run down. Nothing but ruins and rubble.
- Komui said it has villagers. You said while walking around scouting the area.
- Look! Kanda was crouched next to a blood stain. It didn't even manage to dry off, he continued running his fingers across it.
- Than this means the Akuma is still lurking around and this village was in one piece not long before we came here.Your tone became serious and you adopted your composed stance. Let's be careful.
But before you could say anything else and Akuma emerged from under the rubble of a house.
- I shall devour you too! He said in hunger rushing forward to you and Kanda.
You two jumped out of his way and drew out your weapons. The battle was balanced until one point when the Akuma showed his true form and badly injured Kanda.
- Yu! A yell escaped your lungs and you rushed toward him.
- Stay there! He yelled at you making it an order.
He knew the Akuma was too powerful for you two to defeat so he ordered you to go and ask for reinforcements.
- Are you stupid?! You yelled. I would never leave you behind.
- Heh, I don't plan on dieing here by this weakling's hand. He said arrogant with a smirk on his face. Now go! Another order.
You hated the thought of leaving him behind but you knew there is no way in world you could defeat such a powerful Akuma by yourselves.
"If i hurry I can be back by midnight" You said to yourself looking over the map finding the nearest village. Despite the fact that you always liked taking your time, you could't afford to waste any precious time now that Kanda was in danger. You were fast and agile, that was one of the reasons Kanda liked sparing with you. You could keep up with his amazing speed.
Rushing to the nearest village, you gave Komui the report. He ordered you to retreat for now and keep an eye on the movement of the Akuma. After giving your report you rushed your way back to where you partner was fighting "Hang in there Yu I am on my way"
The estimation was right, you arrived few moments after midnight. Looking around there was nothing but rubble. The pale rays of the moon were the only source of light which gave the scenery a feeling of desolation. It was silent. No sign of Akuma nor Kanda. Worry took over you, the composure was gone. When it came to Kanda, you could never be calm. Just the mere thought that he is injured shattered you resolve.
- Yu! Yu! Where are you?! Your voice was echoing trough the heavy silence. Yu!
- Quit yelling like a desperate or the Akuma will hear you. I am right here. He appeared from behind a destroyed wall which once was a house.
He was wounded...dangerously wounded. You ran to him and caught him by the waist gently helping him to sit.
- I am so glad you are alive. You said that as if a stone fell of your heart.
- Heh, I told you I won't give up. He replied as arrogant as ever, smirking.
You smiled relieved that he was breathing but that was about to change when he coughed blood.
- We have to get your wounds treated. Your regeneration can't keep up with these kind of wounds. You stood up and tried to get him to stand.
- It's useless I won't make it. He would't get up.
- What are you talking about Yu?! This is no time to joke around. You will be fine once we treat you deep wounds your regeneration will take care of the rest. You will be as good as new.
He smirked and with his last power pulled you into a kiss. You eyes widen with surprise toward his action and that was the moment you knew how you really felt about him. When he pulled away, he cupped your cheek with his hand and told you on a warm voice:
- Although you always annoy me and argue with me, these are my deepest feelings for you. Can we rest a bit before we get going? I feel really tired. His face was peaceful yet with a smile he let his hand fall on yours.
You said nothing as you sat beside him with his hand in yours. He leaned his head on your shoulder and you leaned your head on his head. You could see his chest gently moving while taking his last breath until it stopped.
- Yu...You whispered squeezing his hand. Despair took over you and tears were falling over your cheeks.
You were shaking, your body was aching just as if it was stabbed by thousand needles. The darkness was crushing, and the only thing that broke the heavy silence were the hiccups of your violent cry. You were paralyzed once you calmed down, your body wouldn't move an inch so you just stood there staring at the moon with your teary eyes and a sad ironic smirk, still squeezing his hand you whispered "I will never forget you".