Chapter 13

Lauren POV

Usually, I would be really excited because I wouldn't know what I was going home to see. This time is a bit different, and knowing what is home waiting for you, is not better. I prolongs the suspense, and ruins the surprise. Either way I knew I was going to have to face this, so I might as well get it over with. Whilst turning off the engine in our driveway, I tried to calm my breaths and regularise my intake of air. Thinking about Camila at this point in time, really aided in relaxing my body. Thinking about her made an involuntary smile creep up on my face.

Her presence engulfs the entire reason for my happy mood. It is hard to explain, and no less confusing, but no matter what time of the day it is, she is on my mind. It might just be the circumstances in which we have met and the fact that we have gotten so close in such a short space of time.

Finally, completely calm, I work up the courage to get out of the car to face the doom I was yet to experience fully. The phone call was only the tip of the iceberg, if so much. Walking into the garage, I saw both of my parents' cars. It is even worse when they are together and ganging up on me, it's like a tag team for punishing me. It's weird and annoying.

I tried to be as quiet as possible. My plan was to just run up to my room and lock it, to reduce any form of communication with anyone until tomorrow. Sadly, the door had other plans.

"Finally, you're here", my dad said while sitting in his chair, watching TV, not turning to look at me.

"H-hey dad, how was your day?", I asked rather nervously, with a little stutter.

"Nice try Jauregui. Your mother wants to see you in the pool room. I believe she's in there now", he said pointing with his index finger, in the direction of the room, with a little wave like he was trying to shoo me away from him.

"O-ok", I said shuffling towards the room. I opened the sliding door to the sound of ceramic pool balls hitting against each other. Silence has never been so loud. Her back was to me and I let out a big gulp.

"Lauren, come play with me", she said not turning to look at me. Her actions slightly confused me but I was in no position to refuse her offer in case she gets angrier. I took off a pool cue from where it was hanging on the wall, and walked towards the table.

"Your turn", she said pointing towards the table, still not looking up at me. It was nearing the end of the game before I came to play.

I finally sank the eight ball, and cleared my throat putting the pool cue back in its rightful place on the wall. I walked to her to take her cue from her as well to hang it back up. She handed hers out for me to grab, but when I took ahold of it, she did not even loosen her grip. Her action caused me to look up at her with confusion disguising any other emotion I was displaying at that time. Our staring competition neared its second minute, until she decided to speak up.

"So, you think you're an adult do you? Well I have some news for you hun", she said finally releasing the cue, letting it drop into my hand.

"Mum, I'm sorry, I know I was acting on impulse an-", she cut off my rambling. Thank God because even I was annoying myself.

"Mija, it is okay. Everyone needs an off day. It's no big deal", she said walking towards the sliding door and pulling it open to leave. Her actions only pushed me further into my pit of confusion. Was she angry or not?

"Wait wh-what? You're not mad? Then what was all of that on the phone?", I said walking up behind her slightly angry at her emotions towards me prior.

"Oh c'mon Lauren, you needed a little scaring. Don't make this skipping thing a habit", she said leaving the room for good. I stood there, frozen in amazement and shock. I was unsure of which one reigned.