eight.

-EIGHT

For nearly two weeks, neither Hoseok nor Yoongi have made any attempt to communicate

For nearly two weeks, neither Hoseok nor Yoongi have made any attempt to communicate. For nearly two weeks, Hoseok has been making excuses upon excuses to himself (and Jimin) that he doesn't need to go to the library. For nearly two weeks, Hoseok falls asleep with an ache in his heart.

Every time he thinks about that awful conversation with Yoongi, his heart aches and his head spins and his eyes burn with tears. Every time Yoongi invades his thoughts, he feels as though a hand is twisting up his insides.

So imagine what Hoseok must feel when he actually sees Yoongi.

His head is screaming, his heart is crying, his mouth is parched of any words to utter as he stands just feet in front of the achingly beautiful blonde haired male, a bag of freshly-purchased groceries in his hand, a harsh gale of wind biting his cheeks.

"Yoongi," he finally whispers. His heart is hurting so much that it's beginning to curl in on itself in order to shield itself from the pain, which merely settles into his bones and hurts him further.

"It's been a while," Yoongi croaks out. His head dips down into the collar of his thick jacket for a moment before he looks back up at Hoseok, eyes steely.

A shiver runs through Hoseok. "It has."

"How've you been?"

"Good."

"That's... good."

Hoseok's eyes dart around nervously before coming to rest on Yoongi's face. "I just... I was wondering," he begins after several seconds of palpable silence, "Why did you kiss me that night?"

Yoongi visibly stiffens, and Hoseok is already regretting asking the question. "I don't know," is the male's curt response. "It was just a- I was just caught up in the moment, I guess."

"So..." Hoseok wets his lips. "So that kiss meant nothing."

"N-Nothing at all." Yoongi's brow furrows. "Nothing," he repeats under his breath, as if trying to convince himself.

Hoseok sighs sadly, staring at his feet. "Great," he says loudly, voice wobbling. He wets his lips and hisses bitterly, "I don't know what I was thinking, getting my hopes up- I should've known-"

"Hoseok-" Yoongi is scurrying towards him, eyes wide and words breathless, his hand reaching up and softly brushing Hoseok's cheeks. "God, Hoseok, please don't cry."

He hadn't even realized that he had been crying. Sniffling and hastily wiping his eyes, Hoseok looks down. "I'm s-sorry."

"No-" Yoongi's trembling fingers wipe away the moisture beneath Hoseok's eyes. "I'm the one who should be sorry."

Hoseok chokes out a sob as he links their hands together. "I thought you at least liked me as a friend, Yoongi." He sniffs. "I thought you would've at least checked in on how I was doing- I thought you would've cared."

"I- I did care."

"You're got a real funny way of showing it, then." Hoseok tightens his grip on Yoongi's hand, and suddenly there's a warmth around him, skinny arms enveloping his torso, hearts pounding against each other.

"Can I be honest?"

Hoseok sniffs. "Please do."

"I'm scared."

Hoseok's lips part in confusion. "What?"

"I'm scared," Yoongi repeats, pulling away a bit to see Hoseok's face. "I'm scared and confused and there's some weird feeling in my chest that I'm not used to having that I'm nearly certain you're the cause of and I don't know what to do about it because you're cute and funny and beautiful and I wanted to kiss you that night because that soft feeling in my chest had returned but I didn't know where to go from there and all this romance shit is honestly terrifying-"

"Breathe." Hoseok can't help but laugh a little breathily. "Breathe, Yoongi, breathe. It's okay."

Yoongi brings their foreheads together. (Hoseok's breath hitches.) "You're confusing me."

"How so?"

"Because-" Yoongi exhales harshly. "You're making my doubt my entire stance on romance and I'm feeling feelings that I've never felt before thanks to you and-" He pulls away a little, moistening his lips. "I don't know what to do with them."

"We could..." Hoseok hesitates. "...date?"

Yoongi holds his tongue in between his teeth. "I wouldn't mind that," he admits, "but I don't want to call it dating."

Hoseok cracks a smile. "Then what would you like to call it?"

"No clue," Yoongi giggles. "All I know is that I..." The air goes quiet. "I... I think... I like you."

Hoseok grins giddily and kisses Yoongi so hard that his lips hurt and his glasses are knocked askew. His arm (the one not holding the groceries) is tightly wrapped around Yoongi's shoulders, and his heart leaps into his throat when the blonde's hands grip his waist in a bruising hold. It's when he's starting to feel lightheaded that he breaks away, chest heaving and cheeks flushed.

Yoongi is giggling, his eyes still closed. "Your lips are so addicting," he breathes. "I could keep kissing you forever."

"Don't say things like that!" Hoseok whines, an embarrassed flush creeping into his cheeks.

"I really love kissing you," Yoongi continues, beaming, "and I- I really like you."

"I really like you, too."

"I like you more."

"Oh god no, we are not going to do cheesy shit like that."

"Too bad. I'm gonna be the cheesiest boyfriend ever, just watch."

"Oh, god."