Chapter 2

Rhys

I ached all over. I could hardly move without pain seeping through my arms or legs. I groaned as I tried to sit up on my bed but, failed to do so collapsing with an annoyed sigh.

I had been working myself non stop for the last few days we've been here unable to take the pain I felt in my chest. I had blamed myself. I blamed myself for having my darling Feyre. My Mate. Taken away from me.

I clenched my fists almost piercing skin as I thought of that spring court vermin, Tamlin.

My jaw tightened as I successfully sat up onto the post of my bed. I couldn't bare to think of that son of a bitch touching my Mate. I growled hatred for that bastard evident on my face as I held the post with my fingers closing around it.

My fingers had barely shattered the wooden post when I felt it. The bond.

It was there.

I started nearly bellowing in happiness at this almost going so far as to jump out my window and soar into the night sky.

I then froze.

'Rhys' I heard.

A tug on my lips. A burning sensation in my eye's.

Was my mind playing tricks on me? Was this real?

Was it really the voice I've wanted to hear these past few days? The ones I wished were in the halls when I worked. The one I wanted in our bed when we made love.

I heard another call. This time almost mournful.

'Rhys' she sounded upset.

I immediately felt my part of the bond open up and I gave a wave of relief to soothe her ache. I knew she'd feel my happiness as well.

Immediately I felt a reaction and this time I couldn't stop the grin that took over most of my face.

'R-rhys!' She cried through the bond.

'Feyre' I answered her. My voice filled with the longing and love that I wasn't able to give all these days.

'Oh Rhys! I've missed you so much! When I couldn't feel the bond i...' when she paused I knew what she meant.

She felt as well. The fracture in the bond. The king may not had destroyed the bond but, he did severe it. It would take some time before we could communicate as we did before but, we had time.

At least I hope.

'Shh. Feyre darling I know. I felt it too' He said softly down the bond a gentle caress following suite.

'I-i just...I thought I'd never hear your voice again' she admitted.

'I know I'd be devastated as well' He teased a smirk on his face.

He felt her anger through the bond before hearing her 'Prick'.

He sent a ripple of laughter as he chuckled from his side.

'I do have to admit however, dear...' He felt her silence to hear what he had to say.

'...I want you with me. No.' He said his brows narrowing. He felt Feyre's disappointment and sadness through the bond before he continued 'I need you with me feyre'.

He needed to see her. To soothe her fears. Her sadness was unbearable. He felt it. It was frightening even if she had a spark of happiness when he had told her just now of his deepest desire.

'Feyre. Do you still want to continue this? You could always leave and come home. Anytime.' He sent.

He felt the hesitation and he knew she didn't want to do this. He knew Feyre felt that she had to however. He never knew why. Was it to prove herself? But, who would she be proving to?

To the king?

To tamlin?

To mor?

To Amren?

T-to Me?

Could I have been the one that unconsciously motivated my Mate to head off on her own without any thought to her own well being?

I felt my fingers curling up before I heard her reply 'No. I-i need to do this. No matter how much I want to...to come home. I just...need to do this. I'm doing this for you Rhys' she said back her voice fading.

Dammit the connection was breaking. I held the bond open for a little while longer.

'No! Feyre you don't have to prove anything! You can come home! We can win this war without you having to sacrifice your life everytime!' I shouted down the bond. I felt tears pricking my eye's.

I'm not going to lose her too. Not her.

Her voice shook, I felt a ripple of sadness flow through thebbond and I collapsed to my knees as the bond finally faded away 'I love you Rhys' her voice fading until all I could here was what I've been having nightmares of.

The fading echo of her sigh before she left me.

Before, she left my world.