Chapter 8

Rhys

I leaned against the pillar of the balcony staring into the darkness of the night, the stars glimmering harmlessly above. I looked down suddenly not able to enjoy their beauty as I had been able to do before.

Not without Feyre.

I shouldn't be relaxing and enjoying a single day or a single moment if Feyre was still out there risking her life for Velaris, for Mor, Amren, Cassian, Azriel, her sisters, and Me. I didn't deserve that if I just let her go like that after we had been attacked by hybern. I should've protected her.

I should've....

I should've done a lot of things that day.

I let my head hang in my hands before sighing deeply and lifting myself off the pillar and heading inside the court. Mor caught sight of me quickly "Rhys." She seemed surprise to see me as if I had died and came back.

"We didn't think you'd even get out of bed, let alone roam the castle" she said with a hint of amusement.

I rolled my eyes at her before shaking my head "That's not helping Mor" he said simply before coming over to her as he saw she had a layout of documents.

"You found something?" I asked finally trying to change the subject.

Mor nodded her mood changing to an uncharacteristic seriousness before turning back towards the table where the documents were laid out "Yeah. Turns out that Cassian had a friend working in the Spring court and after alittle bit of bribery he was able to smuggle out some details about hybern".

She pined to one of the documents that had a blue print design of something only for me to realize it was a strange type of armor "We're guessing that Hybern will be using his dirty tricks again but, what else is new?" She said sarcastically before adding "The metal in the armor is coated with a magic of some kind, it's not fae. And it's definitely not human" she finished crossing her arms in frustration.

"Does it have something to do with the cauldron?" I asked mostly to myself my eyes narrowing.

Mor looked at me confused but, her attention was definitely captured "What do you mean?" She asked her brows furrowed.

I looked at her for a moment before leaning over the table to look at the blue prints "Hybern had possessing of the cauldron at the point of our arrival. It has the power to turn others into fae or give them the strength of one" I said slamming the paper down as I realized what was about to happen.

Mor seemed to get the picture running a hand through her loose hair "By the cauldron" she whispered in horror.

I crossed my arm's my body stiff and that's when I felt a pang of agony rip through the bond, I held in a cry of pain but let loose a groan stumbling slightly.

Feyre...

My eye's widened in horror and Mor turned my way in seconds a hand on my shoulder as she looked at me truly alarmed before I held in a roar of rage.

"It's Feyre isn't it?" She asked and I closed my eyes squeezing them tight as her agony overwhelmed my systems making me dizzy.

I grit my teeth and let out an animalistic groan before straightening up and trying to regain my senses using the pillar to help me balance. I pant slightly feeling specks of sweat run down my brow, I looked up and realized Mor's mouth was moving and yet I couldn't hear a thing.

My senses felt scrambled and all I could think about was getting out of here and finding my mate and bringing her back home where she belongs.

I didn't pay any mind as Mor backed away from me while screaming my name, looking down at my feet as black wisps of shadows enveloped me.

I didn't pay any mind to the barrier I had broken through as I winnowed into the gardens of the Spring Court.

I didn't glare, shout or show any sign of aggression as I wiped the guards from existence before opening the doors to the Spring court palace.

All I needed was Feyre.

And my senses returned to me as my fist met skin as I finally began to cry out in anger. As I finally came face to face with Tamlin.

He fell hard against the tiled floor blood streaming from his broken nose as well as a cut in his eye socket. I let him go. Past me would have thought I was crazy and went to finish the job if not for the sight in front of me...

"Feyre..." I heard a voice whisper, I was confused until I realized it was my own.

The love of my life, my mate, my soul, lay on the medic bed. Bruises marred her beautiful skin from her bare shoulders to her wrists. She was painfully malnourished and her cheeks have sunken inward once more. But, the worst part was the blood seeping into the sheets from her back.

I didn't have to turn her over to aces the damage for I felt it within the bond as if I was being ripped apart. And I knew if I even glanced at it, Tamlin wouldn't be alive right now.

I took her hand in my own. She was warm, her hands welcoming but, she wasn't awake, not yet. I felt hot tears begin to burn my eyes as I began to succumb to the heart wrenching feeling of uselessness. Despair. Anger. Guilt.

Gauze was in my hands in less then a second as I began to dress her wound, I couldn't bare to look at the damage done. Not becuase of Tamlin but, because of me. I shouldn't have been so careless to watch wide eyed and calm as he took her from my arm's. I was finished in minutes and I stiffened as I heard footsteps and shouts from outside the door.

I gave Feyre a comforting squeeze of her hand, I wanted to take her home. More then anything. But, if I did. I know she'd never forgive me. It was her choice not mine. No matter how much I wish I had the selfishness to drag her back with me if I had too.

My hand slowly began to detach itself from Feyre's and I had to hold my self back from taking it once more as I've never felt colder.

I coldly glare down at the uncouncious Tamlin with renewed anger before balling up my fists and looking away before my Shadows envelop my frame once more "Goodnight Feyre Darling" I whispered slightly whimpering before I was suddenly back in the Night court collapsing to my knee's.