Chapter 4

There's nothing worse in school when a new teacher decides to set a seating plan.

I mean, the seats we were already in were fine, but apparently not to our new English teacher. She was mean. And I mean downright horrible. If you even look at her the wrong way she will send you to detention.

Ms Hardman, clues in the name I guess, had us all lined up by the door and called us one by one to sit down at desks which she had rearranged to sit two by two.

The majority of the kids protested the best they could before Ms Hardman gave them a look that could make the meanest kid to shut up.

"Eliana McCoy." She announced, nodding her head to the two empty seats near the back of the class.

Silently, I made my way to one of the empty seats and sat in the one closest to the window.

"Owen Hardy." She called next, nodding her head in my direction, indicating that he would be sitting next to me.

Owen's not that bad. He did his work sometimes, maybe messed around a little when he was with his friends but he never gave me any trouble.

Well, so far he hadn't.

His bag hit the table and he lazily slumped into the chair next to me. He seemed like he didn't have a care in the world.

Eventually, all the pupils were seated but not before the door swung open once again and my idiot of a brother burst into the room with a big grin.

"And you are?" Ms Hardman snapped and I couldn't help my let my head hit the desk.

Please don't say what I think you're gonna say.

"Oh, Harvey McCoy. I've been bumped up a set so I'm in this class for English now." He answered and I groaned out loud.

Why? What did I do to deserve this?

Ok, I don't mind Harvey at home, but by God does he annoy me at school.

When we get home and I complain to him about how he treats me he just apologizes and shrugs it off.

It's just annoying that he's a dick to me to make his friends laugh. I'm just known has Harvey's 'weird and silent sister'.

"Love you too sis." Harvey bumped his chest twice with his fist in a joking way which made most of the class snicker and look at me in distaste.

"Silence!" Ms Hardman snapped, her beady eyes darting around the room to each student and then finally landing back on my brother.

"Sit here." She snapped again, pointing to an empty seat near the front of the class.

Well, at least I wasn't going to be near him in class.

As Ms Hardman began teaching, I could feel the energy of the other students being sucked out of the room. Everyone's head gradually sank lower and lower until they were nearly resting on the desks.

Owen stayed quiet for most of the class, only talking to me when we were asked to work in pairs as we discussed Romeo and Juliet for our upcoming exam.

"Hey, you're like, super smart." Owen frowned as he glanced over to my book. I had already filled one page and was starting on my second.

"I just like taking notes." I shrugged "We're both in the same set so I can't be that much smarter than you."

"True." Owen agreed, glancing back over to my book and then to his. He'd written the date, learning objective and two other lines underneath it.

Ok, how this kid managed to get into the top set is beyond me. Our discussion felt like I was just giving him all the answers so I settled on giving him the most basic information. C grade answers instead of A grade.