2. The Personal Secretary (Part 1)

Warning: Hot moment in the middle of the chapter YOUVE BEEN WARNED ;)

2. The Personal Secretary (Part 1)

Lillian

I skipped in happily to work this morning, although refrained myself once I actually stepped foot in work. I felt that Mr Victor Linton skipping all through out The Empire House would be a bit out of character, even for him.

But, I just couldn't hold in my excitement. Later today Captain Carter promised to teach me how to ride a bike. A bike! Women weren't even allowed to do that, but I had expressed to him how much fun it looked at the ball last night, and he said he'd teach me today after a dinner at his house.

I pushed open the thick, wooden door to Mr Ambrose's office and was greeted with:

"You are one minute and 36 seconds late, Mr Linton." Mr Ambrose's voice rang out clear in his office.

"I am quite knowledgeable of that fact sir. The carriage horse seemed exceptionally slow this morning."

"Well next time choose a better horse."

"Sir," I opened my mouth to explain to this thick-headed bugger that I do not simply choose the horse that comes with each carriage, but knowing Mr Ambrose it'll be a pointless argument. "Nevermind. You said you wanted to discuss you plans today?"

Mr Ambrose folded his hands on his desk and leaned forward, looking at me. "Yes, I am sure I have something important today, but unfortunately I cannot put my finger on what it is."

I opened up the calendar book and checked for the events jotted down for today. "Um, it says right here Sir, December 3, 1839, Newspaper interview." What the hell?

There is no way, no way, that Mr Ambrose agreed to a freaking interview.

"Not to be intrusive, but how the hell did someone get you to agree to being interviewed?!" I asked, completely flabbergasted.

Mr Ambrose mumbled some very not gentlemanly curse words before sighing and meeting my gaze again.

"I seemed to have agreed to this a while back, in exchange for stock in the very successful paper company. Raised my profits by
.9%, so it wasn't completely useless, though I am greatly regretting it."

I nearly fell out of my chair and I had to clench my jaw together so tight for it to not have fallen to the damn floor. Mr Ambrose openly had a regret? Mr-I-plan-everything-twice has a regret?

This must be the end of the world.

"Mr Linton did you hear a word I just said?" Mr Ambrose's voice (angry at that) pulled me out of my thoughts.

"Uh, no, sorry sir. Repeat that again?" I smiled sweetly in an effort to subdue his tempter, yet it was no avail.

His eyes narrowed and he repeated: "I said, what time will they be arriving?"

I looked at the book and followed my fingers to the time. "No set time Sir; all that is written down is 'between 2 and 3 o'clock'."

Mr Ambrose slammed him fist down on the table and began to grind his teeth, making his jaw exceptionally sharp and...

Blast! Stop it Lilly! He is you employer!

"Those damn reporter, always thinking they're so important, never giving specific times."

"Uh, yes. So very frustrating, Sir. Gah reporters..." I said, trying to sound sincere, but utterly failed.

Mr Ambrose must have been part cat because his eyes narrowed even further, now seeming to be only slits.