4. The Personal Secretary (Part 3)

Lillian

I yawned loudly, rubbing the sleep out of my eyes before the events from yesterday came crash back down onto me.

Courting.

And not just anybody, my inner voice reminded me. Rikkard Ambrose, the very single, rich, sex-

SEXIST! The very sexist business man. Whom I did not care for.

At all.

Sure.

I groaned inwardly, not feeling like putting in the effort to argue with myself today. I glanced over at my appearance in the small mirror in Ella and I's room and nearly screamed.

Mother of god, I needed a brush.

I heard the sheets ruffle next to me and then Ella's sweet voice. "Good morning Lilly!" Of course, she looked reasonable, where as I looked like my hair had been run over by a carriage and then eaten (and promptly spit back out) by the horse leading it.

I only grumbled in response. I wasn't in the greatest mood since I did lose my job yesterday.

But you got a better one. Outings with Mr Ambrose, and maybe something to follow them...

For some odd reason, I suddenly felt a hot shiver shoot through my body.

I waved it off, probably just an oncoming fever. Ella pushed herself up and out of the bed, running a hand through her hair. "Come on, lets get dressed and go down for breakfast."

***

Promptly twenty minutes later Ella was practically prancing down the stairs, extremely excited for some reason. I, on the other hand, could barley get past the first step.

"Bloody hell, Ella. How tight did you have to make these laces?" I could barely breathe for heavens sake!

"I tied them as tight as I normally do. Maybe you should cut back on your chocolates."

I stopped mid step- and not just because I couldn't walk any farther - staring at her horrified.

"Right sorry, sorry. Not an option," she giggled to herself.

"Oh, shut up! Just loosen these damn laces! I can't breath!" I popped some of the buttons undone and Ella slide down part of the top of my dress to get to my corset. I felt her undoing the laces, air returning to my lungs with each one that was untied. Thank god we were at the top of the stairs where not many could see us.

Suddenly a shill voice rang out through the house. "Lillian!" my Aunt screeched.

"I'll be right there, Aunt!"

"Lillian, come down here right now!" she yelled back.

"I can't!"

She didn't respond, but I still heard her talking, though her voice was glazed in a sickly sweet tone, and not as... banshee-like. Her voice got louder and louder, and I could hear her footsteps and someone else's getting closer to Ella and I. And I was still indecent!

"Ella," I hissed. "Hurry up!"

"I'm trying! The one lace got knotted."

My eyes looked around as the footsteps continued to grow in volume at a steady pace. "Ella," I groaned. Aunt was going to kill me if she saw my attire. Then all of a sudden, my eyes locked with two sea blue eyes.

Shi-

Mr Ambrose's eyes narrowed on my appearance, particularly my loosely hanging corset, and the top of my dress hanging low, barley above my waist.