E I G H T E E N

Stefan couldn't help but glance over at the boy slouched at the back of the room.

His eyes kept drifting off towards the small blonde boy as he spoke, his own lecture unheard to his own ears. Asce seemed, for lack of better words, a bit dull, as he sat alone in the last row. His usual sprawl had turned into somewhat of a slouch as he seemed entranced by the paper before him.

"Sir." 

Stefan blinked as his focus returned to the class before him.

"Yes?" he asked.

"Your, ah, your pages."

Stefan glanced down and realized that he had been holding the lesson notes so tightly that they had crumpled up slightly at the sides.

"Thank you." Stefan flattened out the pages with the back of his hand as the girl blushed and whispered to the girl beside her.

The rest of the class passed in a blur, and it wasn't long before Stefan found himself packing up his bag and making his way to the door. Stopping and looking back, he watched as Asce slowly realized the emptiness of the class. He almost chuckled when Asce jumped up and scrambled to gather up his stuff.

"Woah there, I won't lock you in."

Asce fidgeted but otherwise remained silent. Stefan frowned.

"You alright there? Asce."

Asce flinched at the sharp voice and blanched slightly.

"I-I," The words suddenly caught in his throat as his vision got fuzzy. It was as if he was stuck in a tank, Stefan's cool voice barely scraping the glass surface.

Stefan rushed over to the paling boy. Grasping him by the arm, he gingerly brought his face towards his own.

Asce struggled for a second then relaxed in the comfort of those strong arms. 

"Breathe," Stefan whispered, running circles over the small of the boy's back. He felt a slight tremor go through his small frame as a long sigh came from the blonde boy.

"Better?"

Asce raised his head slowly, feeling the blood that had left return with a newfound vengeance. 

"Yeah," He awkwardly tried to untangle himself, and Stefan let him, though not without a small hesitation. 

"So," Stefan looked pointedly at the rose colored Asce, "care to explain?'' 

The silence stretched, and with every second Asce looked more and more off.

Stefan ran a hand through his hair and sighed, "Would you perhaps care for a coffee?"

Asce brightened at the distraction and Stefan felt a glimmer of relief. Asce was alright.

"I'll take that as a yes." Asce blushed and nodded furiously.

"Y-yes." he spoke, shyly gazing up into Stefan's dark eyes.

And it was all Stefan could do before he wrapped the boy back into his arms.

~~~

"A large latte with two shots of espresso, and..." 

Asce broke out from his reverie as black eyes peered questioningly into his own. "Ah, um, I'll have uh, I'll have the same."

Stefan raised an amused eyebrow but said nothing as he handed the waitress the menus. Asce watched the tall girl leave, eyes darting everywhere but the man before him. A short cough sounded from Stefan and Asce grudgingly drew his eyes towards the older man.