Feeling That Feeling

(Chapter 27)

I am about to get into bed when my phone beeps. Samantha? I immediately glance at her window but find the lights off. Get over yourself West! But today was good. I love spending time with her, even if its tutoring her for math. After she left, Alec texted me about the ball that is going to happen and how we have to go with a partner. Samantha is the only person that flashes and I quickly send her a note about repaying me for helping her. When she finally agrees, I grin. Tomorrow, I'll ask her for the ball.

The thought makes me smile.

 I check my phone and frown. Its an unknown number.

"Hey buddy. Remember us?
                                               ~Z

I sit up abruptly as I realize who has sent this message. Its them. Its Zach. I knew he wouldn't let go so easily. I knew dad's idea of a perfect, new , safe life would never work. Shit shit shit! 

I take a deep breath as I realize that I am panicking. Its just a text. But how did they get this number? 

Its Zach.

How can I forget how much power he has! I remember the day I snapped out of my innocence. The day I realize that I wasn't dealing with just a bunch of cool seniors who had swag and who did drugs. They were killers, murderers and sadists! They tortured people for money. Money was the center of their world and then followed drugs and girls. I sigh as I think of what he might be planning.

"Hey man, how was school?" William asks asks putting his hand around my shoulder.

"Normal." I say and he grins.

"Did you sell?" He questions as we walk towards the usual hangout space of my gang.

"Yeah, I went to Carter's High today. Sold to a lot  of seniors." I mutter and Williams pats my back. 

"Zach will be really happy." He says as he eyes the money I show him. I am not scared of being caught. I sell drugs only when my identity is covered. Zach says its safe. He says I make him a lot of money and so he likes me a lot. But mom dad don't like me like this. I heard mom crying last night. I make her cry and Noah barely talks to me. I think he is scared of me.

Have I changed that much? No. I just- I just hang out with these people and spend the rest of the day in my room, trying to control the urge to take drugs. That messes with my mood and that is why I don't talk much. Its not that big of a deal right?

It is a big deal, and I know. But I am stuck. I can't leave these people. I don't have the courage to. And how can I when I can't have my family support and protect me. They'd hate me if they knew. Maybe one day, I'll be strong enough.

William removes a small paper from his pocket and sniffs deeply from it. Cocaine.

We approach the steps that lead us to an underground cellar kind of place which is basically the den of my gang.

"Yo boy, what's up?" Steve walks up to me and pats my back.

"Nothing, here." I say and hand him the the money. He makes a 'woohoo' sounds and praises me.

"Come lets show Zach what you got him." He says and we walk further. There are people all around, writhing and dancing in the high of weed and marijuana. I clench my fists as I smell cocaine everywhere. No, I can sell but I can't be an addict. Mom raised me better than that.

You've already failed her...

I shut my inner voice as I approach Zach. But my eyes widen as I can take in the scene in front of me. There are several bruised men lying around, groaning.