Flashback: Mayte Pt. One

1994

"Pop, pop, pop goes the pistol, bang, bang, bang go the gun..."

Nona moved her hands and arms in time with the beat of the music, Prince was a perfectionist so she was making a valiant effort to get everything just right for him.

Ever so often during their Soul Train rehearsal of their duet Love Sign Nona would casually glance at him with an adoring smile, which he graciously returned.

He and Nona Gaye had been dating a little over two years after first meeting in 1991 via telephone after Prince saw her in a magazine posing with other children of celbrities. Being a big fan of Marvin Gaye, he jumped at the opportunity of possibly speaking with his daughter. At once he spoke with anybody and everybody that he thought would be able to contact her; and once he obtained her number he didn't hesitate to call.

Upon their first face to face meeting Prince was instantly atractted to her. Her long legs, smooth chocolate skin and flirty smile he found quite alluring.

Nona, on the other hand was not instantly fall for him at first sight. He was short, barely 5'3 and slim. Compared to her tall 5'9 and a half frame he looked even shorter. Short was a quality she usually didnt find attractive in men. But in the year in which they strictly communicated over the phone, she had fallen for his personality and his humor and caring heart far exceeded any short-comings he had.

They got along well, in the studio and out. They recorded two songs together, the anti-gun anthem Love Sign and a more romantic duet 1000 Xs & Os which she recived that and many more from him. Aside from one time asking her how would her father react to her dating him, Prince rarely brought up the subject of her famous father which she appreciated. Nona was used to guys being interested in her just because her father was Marvin Gaye but Prince was soley interested in her. Nona, being raised around celebrities her whole life was unimpressed by Prince's celebrity status and loved him, just for him.