Part 3 "Pain"

5:27

"Come on," I say to the molar fighting me. "Fine. Be difficult. I should have expected this from you." Taking the expander, I tap at the tooth until the hairline crack widens. His body gives a slight lurch.

"That's right," I say to Morice. "Feel it. Feel the hurt. Experience the pain."

I wrench and twist, watching the blood pool around his tongue and ooze down his throat. He'll throw that up later. Good. He should try throwing up in a wedding gown.

It's not like I actually left Vahn at the alter. An hour before the ceremony, I sent the flower girl with a note for him to meet me in the cloak room.

Of course, Kasidy my maid of honor and best friend since Brownie camp in 4th grade, intercepted it. I see her so clearly now--in her the ridiculous mauve bridesmaid gown with the large bow and cupped sleeves.

Kasidy threw herself in my path, blocking the doorway with arms outstretched. "'He's not worth it. He's scum."

She knew about Morice. And she was right, of course. Why didn't I listen to her?

I had tried to push past her. "You don't understand us."

"You're addicted to him," she said, in a husky whisper. "He doesn't love you Cori." She took my trembling hands in hers and bore a stare that only someone who knows you better than you know yourself can give you. "Don't do this. He's using you. You're nothing but a trophy. He doesn't want to make a life with you like Vahn does."

But I pushed past her and found Vahn. Even now I can't bear to remember that scene.

Vahn, like the gentleman he is, explained calmly to our guests that we had some 'glitches to work out' and thanked them for coming. I heard the groomsmen, after being talked out of killing me on the spot, took him to O'Malleys Pub and wouldn't let him leave until he drained every bottle of Jameson. I kinda wish I could have seen that. Vahn didn't really drink. Or do anything fun for that matter. Maybe... maybe I shouldn't never said yes in the first place. But I knew, I know, I love him.

The roots of this molar won't budge. The blood covers the tooth to where I can't actually see what I'm doing and I'm forced to vacuum it out. As the tube chokes and clogs, I realize there are clots. He may have choked on the blood and died.

Death would be too kind for him after what he did to me.

The fourth molar drops next to the remains of the other three.

5:40. There's time for one more. Maybe two.

I set my extractors down and rip off my blood-soaked gloves. I drop them in the sink and watch the thick red trail snake toward the drain.

I hate the tears burning my eyes. Hate the gnawing endless ache in my gut. Hate how I gave Morice my body, heart and soul.

After I called off my marriage, Morice became my life. For next three amazing, passionate, incredible months Morice and I spent every moment together. And when we weren't together, we were texting. My heart swelled in knowing I had found the right man--made the right decision.

I turn back to Morice now. Blood oozes down his neck and soaks into the collar of his shirt. When did he stop wearing his too tight T-shirts? Probably wanted to fake an image of being smart.

The metallic smell mingles with the taste of my own blood. But that's how we were. Together. Forever.

I snap on a fresh pair of gloves and grab the pliers.