fifteen

a/n: sorry about the radio silence. It's been rough.

Loud knocking jerked Luke awake. He got up, rubbed his eyes before blinking a couple times, taking in his surroundings. He was on the couch, meaning he had probably fallen asleep doing work - again.

The banging got louder, so Luke muttered, "I'm coming!" before getting onto his feet and padding to the door. He opened it slowly, one hand still rubbing his eyes, but he stopped abruptly when he took in the sight in front of him.

"Calum?"

It had been over three months since Luke had seen the brunet, and quite frankly he thought he'd have to wait much longer for this day to come.

Calum didn't reply. Instead, he pushed past Luke and into the apartment, leaving the blind to close the door behind them.

"Calum... What are you doing here?"

Calum turned around to face Luke, and that's when Luke noticed the knapsack hanging off his shoulder.  "I need to tell you something."

"Hello to you too, Calum," Luke replied, trying to be sarcastic but too distracted to be successful.

"Hi. Luke, this is really serious. I need you to sit down."

Luke didn't argue with Calum's urgent tone, and took a seat on the sinking couch, watching Calum put the bag down on the coffee table and start rummaging through it.

"Here." He took out a brown leather journal, tied shut with twine, and handed it to Luke.

"What is this?"

"Read it later," Calum simply stated as he kept looking. He took out a small photo album and gave that to Luke, too.  "These two things... They'll make sense once you read the journal. Don't open them yet." He closed the bag then sat down on the table, in front of Luke. "I don't know what's going to happen next, but I think it's time."

"What?" Luke asked, his heart skipping a beat as Calum leaned in closer. "Calum?"

Calum brought his hands up to cup Luke's face, thumbs rubbing over his pink cheeks. "Luke... I'm sorry."

"Sorry?"

"For leaving. I thought it would make things better for us, but it didn't. It just made me miss you and long for you."

"What are you-"

"Do you still... Have feelings for me?"

Luke met Calum's deep brown eyes, and nodded. "Yes." He brought a hand up to Calum's, taking it off his cheek to hold it.

Calum sighed, a sad smile painting his face. "I want you to know that I care so much for you."

"Okay..."

"I don't know what's going to happen next... I can't- I shouldn't be doing this. Whatever happens... Luke, I need you to be brave."

Calum then leaned in closer, slowly meeting Luke's lips. Luke couldn't believe it, but he wasn't going to let this moment go to water. He slipped his free hand into Calum's hair, but they didn't have very long before Calum was pulling away, breathing heavily.

"Calum?" Luke asked, eyes widening as he watched the brunet gasp for air.

"I'm okay," Calum wheezed, forcing a smile as his hand clutched his shirt. "I'll be okay." His eyes skipped shut.

Luke didn't know what to do. He got up, slipped Calum's arm over his shoulders, and hoisted the man onto the couch.

Calum opened his eyes and met Luke's before saying, "I love you, Luke."

Before Luke could even process the words, Calum let out a gasp, lifting his hands up. Luke gasped as well: his hands were slowly fading, becoming translucent.

"No, Calum, no, don't-" Luke didn't even know what to say. He tried to hold Calum's hands but his fingers just slipped through them, like ghosts in movies. He cupped Calum's still solid face, pressing their lips together again, frantically kissing until he could barely feel the face under his.

Luke opened his eyes, catching one last glimpse of Calum's smiling face before he completely disappeared.

Luke didn't know what to do. He fell onto the couch, beside where Calum was supposed to be.

He closed his eyes for a moment, rubbing them, before muttering, "What the fuck."