chapter 2

"Do you miss it?" Lexa's voice was small and unsure the way it often was when she asked Clarke personal questions. She knew she had been long since been forgiven and she knew that she was loved, but it would also take her a while before she stopped feeling something like an intruder in Clarke's life. While Clarke was here with her in Polis, present, she was all hers. But asking about her past, about things her friends already knew about her so intimately-it intimidated her.

And Clarke could hear the trepidation in her lover's voice. It made her chest ache with a dull throb. She had spent so much time being hard on Lexa and being angry with her that she had often forgotten that Lexa was just a girl. A beautiful, powerful, incredible girl. But still just a young woman who was as lost and confused in this harsh world as she was.

There was rarely a day that went by that Clarke didn't ache with the memories of how harshly she had rejected Lexa's kindness in the months after the mountain. In moments like these, with Lexa's voice small, her touch hesitant, Clarke's chest swelled and every part of her thrummed with a desire to hold Lexa close and reassure her.

"Clarke?"

Clarke turned from her little spoon position to face Lexa. The commander's eyes were nervous, but her face was soft and flushed from their activities minutes earlier. She was stunning.

"Sorry," Clarke smiled. She ran her thumb along the bend of Lexa's jaw, admiring her beautiful bone structure. "What'd you ask?"

"I asked-if you missed it?" A part of Lexa didn't want to know. She didn't want to hear Clarke confirm her worst fears-that Clarke considered herself a visitor here and would never find complete peace with her in Polis.

"Miss what?" Clarke asked. She continued to stroke Lexa's face, attempting to erase the nerves so obvious in the micro-expressions Clarke had learned to read so well.

Lexa's voice was barely a whisper. "Home."

Clarke wasn't entirely surprised by Lexa's question. It had been building for weeks-Lexa dropping hints here and there in an attempt to ascertain whether Clarke was happy in Polis. She was, but she wanted Lexa to see it, not be told it.

But here she was, asking in no uncertain terms like the stubborn, forward Heda that she was. She gave her a small smile. "Arkadia isn't my home, Lexa. So, no. I don't miss it."

Lexa cocked her head slightly, puzzled. Clarke thought it was adorable and couldn't stop herself from quickly placing a chaste kiss to Lexa's lips. The commander hummed in contentment. Her eyes remained momentarily closed when Clarke pulled away, but the blonde could see the moment Lexa remembered her answer. Her brow furrowed before her eyes opened to settle penetratingly on Clarke's face.

"Not Arkadia. I meant-I meant the sky," she said softly.

Of course she had-her philosophical commander from the ground. She had to think. Did she miss the sky? There was a lot she didn't miss, a lot that the beauty of the ground had made her realize she hated about the sky. But there were things about the sky...

She looked back at Lexa who was waiting with big, expectant eyes.

Clarke nodded. "Sometimes, yes. Sometimes I miss it."

"What was it like?" Lexa's follow up question was immediate. Like she had been waiting to ask it as soon as Clarke had given her first answer.

Clarke sighed. "You're in a talkative mood tonight," she said with a smile evident in her voice.

Lexa didn't smile. She looked longingly at Clarke and the sky girl knew that there was something more to this. But how to describe what it had felt like to live in a floating death trap without shattering the beautiful allusion Lexa and all of the grounders had of the "sea of stars." She tried to think back to her favorite part of the sky.

"It was quiet."

"Quiet?"

Clarke nodded. "There's no sound in space. I mean-the Ark made sound. But it was a machine. It's noises were all whirs and beeps and...mechanical."

"And you miss that?"

Clarke chuckled. "No, not at all. Well, yes. I mean," she sighed, flustered. "I don't miss the machine sounds. I miss the quiet. Sometimes. The ground is...loud. Chaotic."

Lexa's face fell. She tried to hide it with a small smile and a nod, but Clarke saw it anyways.

"It's nice though, too." She added quickly. "I like the sounds of the ground." She kissed Lexa's forehead. "I like the way the birds sing in the morning." She kissed her cheek. "And the way the water gurgles in the river."

Lexa brought her hand to Clarke's face and pulled her closer, understanding that Clarke was trying to reassure her and loving her so much for it.

Clarke pressed a warm kiss to the corner of her mouth. "I like the way the market sounds in the afternoon,and they way the children scream and giggle during festivals."

They pressed their foreheads together. Clarke could feel her heart rate picking up with the way Lexa was hovering over her, relief and utter adoration clouding her eyes.

"I like the way Trigedasleng rolls off your tongue."

Lexa took Clarke's lower lip between her teeth gently. Clarke exhaled through her nose and forced her eyes to stay open.

"I like your voice-"

The commander was flush on top of her now, her lips searing into Clarke's as the younger girl clutched at the warm, bare skin of her back.

"I miss the quiet of the sky sometimes," Clarke panted as Lexa moved to her neck. Lexa nipped at the sensitive skin just below her jaw. Clarke moaned in the back of her throat.

With a racing heart and quick breaths, Clarke brought her fingers to Lexa's chin and brought the older girl's face back to hers. "You're my home, Lexa. And the quiet of the sky will will never compare-" Clarke slid her hand down Lexa's flat stomach, "-to the sound of this," and settled it between the commander's strong thighs.

Lexa let out a low, guttural moan, her hips instinctively pressing forward for more.

Clarke smile, intoxicated. "Yeah," she whispered, "that's incomparable."