f o u r

*Dan's POV* 

I found myself getting coffee at the shop almost every day, not to mention initiating a conversation with the cute punk at the counter. I was even late for work once, silently cursing myself for doing so. The guy might be cute, but not cute enough to lose my job over, of course.

Yet I was opening the door to the cozy shop for the 17th time that month, quickly being wrapped in the smell of fresh coffee beans and muffins in the oven. I advanced to the counter, sitting in my normal seat and slinging my bag over the side. I laid my jacket on the seat next to me and let my eyes fall onto the punk's back. I knew his name was Phil, but saying "Punk" turned me on a little more. Not that it mattered to me or anything.

He turned and met my gaze, smiling as wide as I deemed possible. I returned it and waved him over slightly.

"What's up?" he asked, grabbing a medium cup. "Regular?"

"Yes sir."

I saw his eyes flicker in confusion before returning to their normal happy state. "Right up!"

Phil soon returned with my order and leaned against the marble, handing it over and scanning my features with curiosity and wonder. Or maybe...lust? No, it couldn't be.

"Enjoying your sugar fest?" He teased. "How can you drink that? I'm getting a cavity just looking at it."

I shrugged. "It's quite easy, actually. You just put it to your lips and drink it, like you would any other kind." I smiled.

"Smartass." He said playfully, making me smile even more.

I glanced at my watch. "I should get to work." I slid him a five pound bill. "Keep the change, you deserve it."

He frowned. "Okay, bye Danny."

"Don't call me that."

"You call me punk!"

"And?"

~~~~

I rushed in the door, flinging my bag across the kitchen and running into the living room before throwing myself at PJ in a hug. "Peej!"

He laughed as we collided and landed on the ground, opening his eyes. "Hello. How are you?"

"I'm really good!!" I responded, sitting up and looking at him. "I met a guy, and-"

"Wait wait wait, you met someone?" He asked with a hint of concern.

My smile faltered a little. "Yeah, why?"

"Uh, no...reason. Continue."

I looked at him suspiciously but resumed my speech. "His name is Phil and he works at the coffee shop. He's a punk and has lots of tattoos and piercings and blue dyed hair, but he has the sweetest personality on Earth. I've been stopping at the shop every morning, just so I can see and talk to him. He makes amazing conversation and listens to every single word you say, thinking about everything. OH! And he has the most blue eyes you've ever seen!! They look like crystals -- like sapphires. They're just...gorgeous!" I took a breath and signed contently. I then looked at PJ, who seemed lost in thought. "Peej?"

He snapped back into reality and plastered on an obviously fake smile. "So you like him, then?"

"It sure seems like it."

I heard his teeth grind slowly. "I'm so happy for you, Dan!"

---

Our hometown's in the dark