Chapter Four

Tuesday went by in a blur. Chloe hoped to bump into Landon outside today. She looked out her bedroom window. The sun was out and there was hardly a cloud in the sky.

She was going to walk downstairs for a bowl of cereal when her mom saw her go by her office door. "Chloe," her mom called.

Chloe took a few steps back so she could see her mom sitting at the desk. "Yeah?"

"Your dad and I are planning on going to Mrs. Hindley's tonight, would you like to join us?"

"I don't know yet, I might," Chloe answered. "What was your latest article about?" Chloe gestured to the desk, changing the subject.

"The anniversary of the Manson killings that happened back in 1969, it's in a few days."

"That's a little dark for you, isn't it?"

"Unfortunately, but that's what Kevin wanted. I'll probably have nightmares tonight."

Just then the doorbell rang. Chloe jogged down the stairs, hoping it was Landon. She opened the door, but there was no one there. She looked down to see a small box lying on her porch. She grabbed the box, and searched for a label but there wasn't one. She opened the box and gasped. Inside the box was a book about human sacrifice, but that wasn't what gave her goose bumps. On the outside of the book was a note that read: Leave, now!

"MOM," Chloe yelled at the top of her lungs.

"What's wrong?" Kate asked, while quickly descending the stairs.

"Did you order this book?" Chloe asked, handing the box to her mother.

"No." Kate searched the box for a label just has Chloe had done. "I'll go call your father just to make sure he didn't. Don't worry, it was probably delivered to the wrong house by mistake, that happens more than you know," Kate told Chloe before she went back upstairs to her office.

Chloe texted Britney to tell her what just happened.

Britney texted back: Omg, that's creepy. Keep me updated!

***

After receiving the creepy package, Chloe didn't want to stay home by herself while her parents went to Mrs. Hindley's house for the prayer meeting, even if they were only a few yards away. She walked with her parents to the end of the cul-de-sac where Mrs. Hindley lived. The sun was setting, lighting up the sky with hues of pink.

"I still can't believe her address is 666," Kate said to her husband.

"I know, I definitely wouldn't have bought that house," Mike said teasingly.

Normally Chloe would be making jokes with her dad, but for some reason, she had a bad feeling about this place, and about most of the people who live here.

Chloe watched as her mom rang the doorbell. A few seconds later a short old lady answered the door. "Mrs. Hindley?" Kate asked the lady.

"Yes! Are you my new neighbors?" Mrs. Hindley asked with a big smile. She had her silver hair pulled back into a tight bun. She was wearing a black skirt and white button up top, which she had covered with a black cardigan.

"Yes, we're the Archers," Kate answered, putting her hand out to gesture a handshake.

Mrs. Hindley shook Kate's hand. "Nice to meet you..." Her statement dropped away as the old woman noticed Chloe.