Chapter 9: Being a Human

My eyes couldn't escape from her.

I nearly forgot what a human lass would look like, and heaven knows the moment she stepped out of the funny-looking vehicle. Her presence drew me. It never bored me now that observing her became my new activity. Watching her sleep seemed to be the best way to closely observe her. After all, it was the only time she was completely unaware of my presence.

The lass was very strange indeed. The way she dressed up was quirky. She displayed no formal manners. She wore what seemed to be trousers. I can't believe today's society actually allow women to wear trousers all the time. There was a lot to learn now that the war ended.

My first interaction with her didn't go so smoothly. Apart from me accidentally toppling over her belongings and inadvertently waking her up, the sound of my voice–which had been absent in the past century–had me taken aback. I was such an idiot. Why would waste a voice when there was no one else to talk to? The walls would just absorb it. My nature as this condemned creature - was dominant.

Being nice was no longer easy. I almost prompted her to leave. I supposed she would be one of those bastards who did nothing but belittle me. But later I saw genuineness through her gray eyes. She was different. Her presence changed everything. It was time for me to change too as I had no longer the sole owner of this property. The space was for me and this lassie's family to share.

The lassie's presence in the garden drew me. She was sitting on the bench, with both of her legs up and bent, white wires that seemed to be perching in her ears. Her eyes were fixed at her book as she was swinging one of her knees absentmindedly. Her brown hair cascaded down her shoulders.

After a moment of contemplation, I thought it'd be best to make peace with her. A simple hello wouldn't hurt.

The worst that could happen was another argument.

* * *

The side garden was solemn, with no signs of gardeners today. I settled myself on a wooden bench below the trees. A little break after school before going back to my homework was very much needed, so I donned my favourite jumper and carried To Kill a Mockingbird with me along with an iPod that Nathan had bribed me with–Sex Pistols filling my ear.

Cornelius didn't appear to me for a couple of days since he saved me from falling off the stairs. He probably gave up on showing up after all, which was much of a relief for me.

Fifteen minutes into reading, the breeze started to get a little odd. Despite its familiarity, I quickly seized the thought. When I lowered my book to stretch my neck a little, I nearly had a heart attack.

"Hello."

"Jeez!" his presence startled me. "Can you please not do that?"

And yet again the young man appeared before me in a blink of an eye. He shot a look that was not challenging, not disdainful, but more questioning.

"Well, what is it?" I snorted.

"W-walk with me."

"Excuse me?" He came from a rich, well-educated family and no 'please'?

"Walk with me." he repeated.

I sighed and slammed my novel. Now my afternoon was completely ruined to walk with this vain ghost. No, he might be a time traveler, or a mutant, or an experimental object. A ghost wouldn't dare to walk in the daylight. I clutched the book and my iPod while I noticed Cornelius walking calmly next to me with his hands folded behind his back. His walking gesture reminds me of those gentlemen from Jane Austen's films, but oh no, he was no Mr. Darcy. He couldn't be.