Chapter 34: The Infliction Ends

September 10, 1914

My time was getting closer. Men in uniforms spilled to the streets, all prepared to head to the Front. I was informed that my lads, Louis, Ted, and Ralph had all enlisted. Ralph had left that morning, rather quite excitedly, despite his mother's objection. Motorcars after motorcars arrived to pick them up, which would soon be my turn.

"Pack your things, you're leaving tomorrow," Papa announced when I peeked out into the street.

Mama stiffened as father passed us by in silence. She looked extremely pale. She had always looked young for someone in her forties but these recent days, she aged twice her age. Eyebags and wrinkles became more prominent on her face.

.Her weight fell on me. She was frail, cold, and on top of it all, scared.

"I'll be fine," I whispered. "If I die in the trenches, it will not because of my disease..."

For a frail lad like me, it would be an honour to have the shell take my life at the Front instead.

"Don't say that. You're all I have now that your sister has left..."

"Don't worry, Ma. I'm a big lad and I'll make you proud."

She held my hand. "I'm sorry I can't protect you from your father, about your acceptance to Cambridge."

"What's done is done," I replied.

My mother had been the most supportive one in the family, although she wasn't stable herself given the pressure father put. I kissed her forehead to soothe her. It was the least I could do as a son to a mother with grief before her eyes.

* * *

Before the sunrise, I saw Aileana sprinting towards the back garden. Just about time. I was about to inform her about my departure the next day, but something was wrong. Panic already swept her face before she even reached the garden porch.

"What's the matter, my love?" I stroked her face. Something was different. I could feel it.

She breathed heavily. Aileana reached out for my hand and placed it gently on her tummy. I sensed life growing inside it, and it was calling to me. The sensation of feeling something unseen yet existing and of my own blood jolted me to my senses. I became someone every man in the world desired to be. A wave of thoughts invaded my mind: we would not only start everything anew after the war, but we would have a family of our own. I would soon weigh responsibilities not just to Aileana but the life growing inside her womb carrying the Haywood bloodline. We would have one, two, or three more children running around in our little house in Nice.

I engulfed Aileana into an embrace as we drowned ourselves in joy, but she shook her head and pulled away.

"I don't have much time." she shoved a small folded paper into my nightrobe.

"What do you mean–"

"What do you think are you doing?" my father's voice startled both of us at the door. Wrapped in his nightrobe, he glared at Aileana who momentarily distanced herself from me. "You don't suppose I haven't noticed, do you? Have you forgotten your place, humble gardener, for seducing my son?"

"Papa, let me–"

"What's with all this noise at the dawn about?" my mother followed.

"Our son has snuck away with this...gardener of yours." father's pince-nez loosened from its place as he bellowed.

"Is that a matter? Aileana is a respectable young lass." my mother frowned.

Aileana kept her gaze down. "No, Madam, Mr. Haywood is right." she sobbed. "Forgive me. It's m-my fault. I deserve any punishment for now bearing your son's child in me."