Chapter 12: Film Night

"Hey Lisa, are you free this Saturday?"

Phoebe's voice startled me as I was shoving my Latin textbooks into the bag and readied to go home. Lorelai stood next to her, putting on her blazer.

"Yeah. Any plans?" I muttered.

"Yeah, actually we're thinkin' tae sort ay hangin' out." Lorelai smiled. "We may not have stuff like the Harrods here, but trust small antique stores are actually nice too. You should see 'em."

"Sure, that would be nice."

I heard the markets and small shops at the City Centre were quite a treat.

"Actually if you don't mind, I'll be bringing Ruby and the boys too," Phoebe added as a dirty-blonde girl with two boys following her. One was tall with curly hair that reached his chin and another had a buzzcut, and the fact that he was quite good looking.

"Ah, the Haywood House lassie." that girl greeted me with a warm expression. "I'm Ruby, oh and these two annoying lads–"

She poked the curly-haired bloke who had been giggling.

"–are Alan and Ray."

Alan, the curly-haired bloke, waved lazily. The buzzcut lad, Ray, harrumphed.

"Oh hey, you're the one who passed out earlier in history class, right?" Alan slurred. Ruby shortly elbowed him. "Haunted house lass!"

I threw an awkward smile.

"Ah, don't mind my boyfriend, Lisa. He needs to be under supervision at all times." Ruby winked. "Anyway, it's unusual to find a Londoner 'stranded' in this town. How're you likin' the highlands so far?"

Ah finally, some more talk about where I was, rather than my infamous residence and the fact that I fainted out of nowhere in history class. "It's amazing." I smiled. "It's completely different from London, in a good way, of course."

"Och great!" Ruby said, before turning to Phoebe. "Anyway, I didn't mean to eavesdrop or something, but did I hear you girls were planning for hanging out?"

"Yeah, well, just about time, we're going to drag you lads with us too!" Phoebe exclaimed.

The boys grunted. You put girls and shopping and that'd be grave news for the lads.

"Alright, wee jimmies. As long as you don't find shoppin' boring." Lorelai added.

Alan and Ray cheered. Their noises boomed across the empty classroom, joining in Phoebe, Lorelai, and Ruby in little cackles as they went on planning their Saturday night.

Or maybe the classroom was not so empty after all.

The corner of my eyes caught Sophie silently gathering her things into her bag, getting ready to leave the classroom. Her eyes momentarily wandered to us and I wondered if our conversation might have bugged her in some way.

"Look at Murray, you think she might be havin' quite a wee chat with her 'other people' at tha' corner?" Lorelai whispered.

"Shoot, Lorelai, you'll be responsible if I can't sleep tonight." Phoebe mumbled, followed by the boys' constant giggle.

"Well, let's get out of 'ere." Lorelai said, grabbing my hand and Phoebe's with both of hers as we started to leave the classroom.

Though my thoughts still lingered to Sophie. Was she really interacting with 'someone' inside? Maybe all she needed was normal friends to distract her from ghosts. She needed a break.

"Wait," I called out. "I have an idea, but please don't hate me for this."

"Sure, what's your plan?" Phoebe asked.