Chapter 18: The Old Days

Over autumn, Greg started to adapt well to the school environment. Thanks to his excessive charm, he gained everyone's attention really well. My admiration towards him began to reignite, and this felt like revisiting my childhood. Greg and I grew close each day, because of our similar background. I constantly invited him over to hang out with my close friends or for study groups, and way too many times had he driven me home.

Everyone else at school had warmed up to me and him hanging out. That fact spared me from being the subject of jealousy by the school's entire girls' population. When I caught up with him alone, we could reminisce about our childhood days, how much of a goofball he was that sometimes he would stand on top of the table just to steal the teacher's attention. Looking back, my mum, dad, and I were living a content life too back then. We were just a simple family living in East London with Greg as a family friend.

Maybe that was what Greg was here for, to remind me of a better life I used to have.

Cornelius noticed the growing friendship Greg and I had developed. He initially appeared a little odd. I understood how much he wanted to be in a larger range of friendships, but I told him that he had always had a special place for me.

As the Christmas break was approaching, the access to school was closed due to the slippery road. My mum and Nathan had been away in London four days ago. They were to wrap up the listing sales before the year-end. Greg had promised to invite me over to his house for a little Christmas decorating should I feel a little lonely (which I wasn't). To be honest, I had been curious about his house since his dad was an architect.

Except we hadn't got a chance since blizzard poured over the town this week.

I'd been keeping myself locked inside my warm bedroom sipping my hot tea, doing my nails at the foot of the bed with the weather forecast channel blaring in the background.

"As for Perthshire, the storm will constantly be hitting. You're strongly recommended not to leave your house..."

I gave my pinky finger a little finishing brush with the nude polish before pondering at my new handiwork–all my fingernails glistened in matte beige. At least I had got some work done at only ten in the morning. From the window seat, Cornelius marvelled in fascination at the iPad, again, another Nathan's bribery gift. His finger circled the screen stiffly. You, present-day people, are too spoiled, I recalled him saying that the other day. I had to agree with him on that point.

The weather seemed severe. Just when I thought of calling Greg to cancel our weekend plan. My phone rang, showing his caller ID on the screen.

"Hey Lisa." he sounded playful as always.

"Hi, I–uh–was about to call you." I glanced at the rumbling storm outside the window. Cornelius looked up from the iPad questioningly. "I don't think it's a good idea to do it today. The weather doesn't seem very good."

"Ah, right, but the boredom's been killing me." He said. "So let's say our little decorating time is still on, then?"

I eyed Cornelius, who now tilted his head. He couldn't hear what Greg and I were conversing about. I did miss having companies other than Cornelius.

"But is it safe to drive?" I gulped.

"I checked and there were no closures but don't worry, I'll drive slowly," Greg replied. "Give me thirty-forty minutes?"

"Sure, I'll see you. Drive carefully."

The thought of hanging out with him, and just with him, never crossed my mind. Since I spotted him on his first day, I actually looked forward to having some catching up to do.