Chapter 19: Date

"Cornelius." I cleared my throat, already wrapped in a navy blue, knee-length dress. But cold struck my bare, exposed back. "Do you mind zipping me up?"

He nodded. Then I proceeded to turn around to give him access. He fumbled on the zipper before it covered my back. We had been spending minutes almost in silence, if not murmurs. As a matter of fact, since the day I broke the news to him that Greg asked me out, he had become so much more laconic, having only responded to yes and no questions, including when I asked him which dress to use. As much as I wanted to confide with my friends about choosing the dress, I couldn't bring myself to tell them about me and Greg.

The ghost's frozen fingertips were barely touching my neck right at where the zipper gathered. I shuddered, sensing him behind me and wishing so desperately his hands would remain there. The silence has never rang any louder because the closer we found ourselves to each other, the more I felt us pushing each other away that it was torturous.

Cornelius had to bear the secrets now, although that only put a distance between us. Because I can't be that person. I shook my head, trying not to get caught in my own thoughts. Cornelius' presence made it even harder because now everytime my eyes meet his, my cheeks grew inexplicably and bizarrely hot. If eyes could speak, then his would've spewed questions, demanding an explanation, while I could only snatch my gaze away because I couldn't provide an answer.

But still, the thought of his odd behaviour boggled me so much more than the anxiety of the first date with Greg. If it hadn't been for Greg's reminder text earlier today, I would've forgotten completely about it. As much as I was concerned how Cornelius was and wanted to ask him, the answer couldn't be more evident.

When I reached downstairs, something caught my eye on the kitchen countertop. The flowers encased in a vase had grown withered and its once bright, soft colours of yellow and purple turned dull brown. I wondered if Diane missed throwing it away.

Without a second thought, I whisked the flowers into the bin and headed for the entrance.

* * *

"You're early." I greeted Greg, settling into the passenger's seat. Greg had his hands propped on the shiny steering wheel of his Boxster. 

"I'm too excited."

He wore a simple, casual gray suit, which looked stunning on him. His gelled blond hair partly fell on his brow. Greg couldn't look more attractive than today.

"I just noticed how really cool your house is. I could barely saw it last time due to the blizzard!" Greg glanced up at my house from his car window. "This house seriously is like a landmark! A historical house! You have to invite me over some time."

Before, I felt trapped within the walls of the manor, but after Cornelius appeared and became my friend, I guess I was indeed lucky.

As soon as the car pulled over in front of an Italian restaurant.

The interior was dark and dim with lights hanging on the ceiling, yet the atmosphere was quite friendly. The host was standing right by the entrance as we entered. With a huge grin, she approached us. Greg uttered his name and the tall auburn woman dug through the name on the list clipped on a board before she looked up and plastered a smile. She led us through the quiet café towards a small table right at the corner, facing the window. As soon as we were seated, a different woman with curly hair came up with two menus and slid them on the table. I ordered a plate of cannelloni and lemonade. Greg insisted to have the same orders. I slipped off the cardigan and brushed my frozen blue palms.

At least this place had a nice atmosphere. What a rare place to find in Aberfeldy, even my house was not as warm as this place.

In every pause, a flash of his face appeared in my head. His recent behaviour had been quite concerning. I wondered if I was doing the right thing tonight with Greg, how Cornelius thought about it. He would normally walk me down to the door whenever I left to hang out with my friends, but this time, he disappeared before I even reached the bedroom door.