Full Moons

Every morning for nearly a week, Draco and Hermione would get up earlier than usual, go through their morning routine and meet in the common room of their tower where they would greet each other with a kiss and a Good Morning. Then Draco would make a fire and Hermione would sit close to his side and every so often, Draco would put his arm around her. It always made Hermione incredibly happy when he did. But she was also terrified that someone would barge in on them like this as they talked for an hour before breakfast was to be served in the dining hall. But not many people were up this early like the two of them had gotten in the habit of being just so they could talk to one another. Hermione always looked forward to the next morning and to their goodnight kiss before they went to sleep or off to their rounds.

But today, Draco felt a shift not only in his own demeanor but in Hermione's as well. He knew why he felt a little off but he didn't know what was bothering Hermione. So minutes before they went off to breakfast Draco asked,

"Is something bothering you Hermione?" Hermione sucked in air and held her breath for a second, her cheeks puffing out slightly and making Draco smile. She exhaled.

"Do you... Want to do something tonight?" Hermione asked. Draco wanted to say yes. He wanted to say god yes. Even though he didn't know what Hermione would want to do or what they could do while still keeping their relationship a secret from others. "Before my rounds that is." Hermione said, looking at Draco with a hopefully smile.

"What would you want to do?" Draco asked, even though his pounding headache and the burning, itching feeling in his hands reminded him he wasn't going to be able to do jack shit tonight with anyone. Hermione shrugged.

"I don't know Draco but... Don't you think we should go on a real date? Not just sit around here every morning and night?" Draco licked his lips.

"Yes, I agree but..." He winced as a certain, searing pain in his leg made him reflexively grab his knee. Hermione gave him a funny look. "Maybe tonight isn't such a good idea." Draco murmured, trying not to grind his teeth. Why was the pain so excruciating right now? Would he not be able to make it through the day? He usually could. He could usually work through the pain for at least twelve hours before completely succumbing to it at night.

"Are you okay? What's wrong?" Hermione asked, shifting so she could place her hand over Draco's on his knee.

"I have a bad knee." Draco lied. "It's fine, the pain won't last." He said, trying to focus on Hermione's hand on top of his rather than the growl that was trying to rip through his throat. Eventually the pain subsided and Draco inhaled sharply, his shoulders loosing their tension. Hermione felt that she could finally breathe again. She had never seen him looked so pained before. Draco turned his palm around under Hermione's and laced their fingers together.

"Maybe you should have Madam Pomfrey look at your knee." Draco shook his head.

"No, she has. It's fine, really. The pain comes and goes. I'm okay Hermione." Hermione pursed her lips but eventually nodded her head slowly.

"So not tonight then?" Hermione prompted.

"Yes, I'm sorry." Draco breathed out. "I have somewhere to be."

"Where?" Draco had hoped she wouldn't ask this because he didn't have a good answer. If he told her the Forbidden Forest she would want to know why. She might try and follow him. She might actually find him in there and if she did... Draco didn't want to think about that.

"Just... Somewhere." Hermione huffed.

"Draco if this is going to work, you can't lie to me." Draco bit down on his tongue. He didn't want to lie. But he also couldn't admit the truth.