Chapter Eleven

******Sparrow

I was jumpy all day and my nerves were getting the better of me as I started getting ready to go home. "Any particular reason you've been in a haze all day?"

"I'm sorry, just a lot going on." I shrugged and Mattie gave a nod. "How'd the closure go?"

"It hasn't," I gave him a pointed look. "She's coming back to town next week. I'm gonna talk to her then, I swear."

"You better," Mattie gave me hug.

"Thank you, Sparrow." I hugged him back then parted ways. "Thank you for being my friend."

"Same to you, lover boy." I smiled as I made my way to my car.

"Sparrow," I jumped out of my skin and turned around, coming face to face with someone I hadn't seen in a very long time.

"Kyle?" My voice shook slightly but I straightened my spine. He looked pale and unhealthy, I could see bone and blisters covered his lips. He was shaky and his brown hair was thin. "You look horrible. Are you okay?"

"I'm fine," he gave me a small smile and my heart broke for my big brother. "I just need a little help. Do you think you could give me a few bucks?"

"Kyle," I sighed. "I can't. You know I can't. I'm sorry." I went to get into my car when he wrapped a hand around my wrist. "Ow, Kyle, you're hurting me."

"Please, I'll pay you back." He wheezed, his eyes looking like mud.

"Kyle, please get off." I begged, trying to get my hand out of his grasp. Him being so weak made it easy.

"Fucking bitch!" He shrieked, shaking even more now. "You think you're so much better than me."

"That's not it, Kyle." I shook my head, feeling small. "You're sick, you need help."

"Help, ha!" He shook his head, speaking incoherently. "Go back to your perfect little life and don't fucking bother me, whore!" He walked away, disappearing into the darkness and I felt my knees begin to give. I climbed into my car and drove home, everything passing in a blur as I pulled into my driveway. I didn't register the bike or the fact that Sniper was sitting on my couch. I shut the door behind me and slid down it, tears streaming down my cheeks.

"Birdy?" Sniper picked me up and held me close on his lap. "What happened?"

"I couldn't save him," I sniffed, hugging Sniper. "I couldn't save my brother."

*******

There was pounding at my door when I woke the next day. I smiled as I felt an arm wrapped around my waist and I shifted to look at Sniper who was still asleep. I kissed his lips lightly and he opened his eyes, pulling me into a deeper kiss. "You stayed in my bed last night."

"I wasn't going anywhere else but your bed, Birdy." He whispered and I groaned when the banging on my door continued. I unwrapped myself from him, unfortunately, and made my way to my door.

"Papa?" I scrunched my eyebrows as my father just walked right in again.

"You actually look like you live here." He looked around my kitchen with dishes in the sink and papers lying around.

"Are you just here to critique my living habits?" I deadpanned as I went to go make coffee.

"You're brother left the home I put him in." My father said as if it was normal, as if it didn't bother him that one of his children was addicted to heroin and meth.

"I know," I felt my anger rising as I turned to my worthless father. "He came asking me for money last night."

"Did you give him any?" My father asked as if I was under interrogation.

"Why the hell do you care?" I asked and he sighed at me.

"I don't need your sass, Sparrow." He shook his head and right then Sniper walked out, glaring at my father. "What is he doing here?"

"Living here, obviously." Sniper responded, kissing my cheek and pouring himself a cup of coffee. My insides melted, he wanted to live here. With me. I suddenly felt giddy and couldn't stop the grin that covered my face. "I'm glad I can make you smile, Birdy." He whispered before giving my pissed off father a nod and disappearing back into my bedroom.

"Sparrow..." My father started and I rolled my eyes.

"Papa, stop." I walked past him towards the door. "I love him. And if you have a problem with that then too bad. Maybe you should get back to work. Since that's the only thing you care about."

"That's not true," he seethed.

"Oh, right, you only care about the child who isn't addicted to drugs. Understood." I opened the door and he shook his head.

"I was trying to help." He huffed and I laughed.

"No," I shook my head. "You were trying o hide the problem so you didn't have to deal with it. You locked him in some home that would apparently detox him but let me say it didn't work. He looks worse. So instead of being a father and seeing that moms death left a pain in your children, you got a new wife who doesn't give a damn about us. You buried yourself in work. You abandoned us. You left. And it's too late to try and make it all better. It's too late for you to suddenly want to be a father. Good job, papa. Not only did you lose your only son but you pushed away your only daughter too. Have fun getting Agent of the Year and the promotion or whatever it is. Hope it was all worth losing the kids who loved you and gaining a no good, gold digging whore who bangs her yoga instructor." I slammed the door shut and walked back to my room where I buried myself in my covers and Sniper. He kissed my forehead and I gave him a smile. "Are you ever gonna touch me again?"

"What?" Sniper laughed as he pulled my closer to him so my head laid on his chest. "How about I touch you later? Once you're no longer mad at your father?"

"Fine," I huffed. "But you better or I'll just do it myself." He sucked in a breath and I smiled up at him.

"Or now, now is good too." Sniper ripped the covers away and crashed his lips against mine.