Chapter 4

I stir awake, yawning widely as I shift my body to the side. I outstretch my arm, trying to find Camila with my eyes shut. When my fingers bat against the empty air, I sit bolt upright. I open my eyes quickly, glancing around my room. My bed is completely empty, along with my room. Panic fills my heart as I gaze at the ground— Camila's leather jacket doesn't lay on the floor as it did last night.

I exhale slowly, my breath shaky. I pull my knees close to my chest, hugging them. I rest my chin on them, tears fill my eyes. It was a dream, it was all just a dream. Of course Camila is still dead because people can't come back from death. How could I think my dream was real? I close my eyes, letting the tears slip out from under my eyelids.

I bury my nose in between my legs, breathing in the scent of oranges. I breath in, releasing a sob. I choke back another one, not wanting someone to walk through the door and hear me. My forehead rubs against my knees, my hair covering my whole face. I inhale abruptly, trying to ease my crying.

"Lo?" I hear Camila ask from a distance. "Why are you crying?"

"Camila?" I ask, startled. Lifting my head, I wipe the tears from my eyes. "W—?"

Camila moves over to me, sitting on the side of my bed. She has a cup of orange juice gripped in her hand, and her jacket is back on her torso. She sets the cup on my dresser, wrapping her arms around me.

"I thought you were a dream.." I admit, pulling Camila closer to me and leaning against her shoulder.

"I'm sorry," Camila apologizes, dipping her head. "I just woke up earlier than you did, so decided to get something to drink."

"It's fine," I sigh, my breath shudders. "I just... I'm used to crying when I think of you. I guess I just immediately thought the worst, and—"

"Lo," Camila takes my heads, lifting her gaze. "If I would of known you thought I was dead, I would of came back a long time ago."

"But, weren't you kidnapped?" I ask, raising my eyes to meet Camila's.

"Yeah.. But, you see, I'd risk my life for you, Lo." Camila brushes the hair out of my face. She smiles warmly, letting her fingers slide down the side of my face.

"I just can't believe you're here— alive." I laugh softly, blinking my eyes so my tears dry faster. My smile fades quickly when I remember Camila's words from last night: 'they said they would kill me if anyone found out that I was in town'.

"You want to talk about last night, don't you?" Camila smiles weakly. I crinkle my nose, remembering how easily she use to read me. Unfortunately, she still can.

"Yeah," I rub my arm, darting my gaze to my lap.

Camila sighs then is silent. She seems to deep in thought, her eyes clouded with unhappiness. "Okay, then," she croaks, standing up and dusting her thighs off. "Let's go."

I stand up as well, pushing open my door. I take my phone and slide it into my pocket before leaving. She grabs her orange juice cup, and hurries after me. I lead her into the kitchen, sitting in a chair around my round table.

Camila sits in front of me, she arms rest on the table causally. Her eyes lay on the table, the usual glint of amusement is gone and replaced with despair.

"Shawn and Austin want me to find them five different jewels. Two rubies, one diamond, and two emeralds. Although, I could steal your eyes for that part." Camila smiles shyly, leaning across the table. Her eyes meet mine. "I still love them— your eyes, not Shawn and Austin. It's like you haven't changed." She sinks back into her chair, her head held low. "But I can tell you have. Your eyes shimmer with something deeper than sadness. And I'm sorry for that."