Chapter 22

Our heads, even Camila's who I thought was asleep, all whip toward the voice. My eyes land on two men that I recognize with a sinking heart as Shawn and Austin. They wear identical black shirts and ugly faces. I feel Camila grip onto my shirt, pulling herself toward my ear.

"I can walk now, I'll be fine." She whispers urgently, scrambling off my back. I let go of her legs and she makes her way to the ground, grabbing my arm, pressing it against her chest, and holding me close. She pulls on the jacket that once draped around her shoulders, zipping it up.

Shawn and Austin must of noticed Camila because Austin exclaims loudly, "Damn, they really did take her. But who are the other people?"

Shawn narrows his eyes at me, then his eyebrows shoot up and his jaw clenches. His eyes burn with anger that is so fierce. "Oh my god, Lauren!" He growls, lunging at me, his hands in fists.

I jump to the side, barely dodging the man's attack. Camila stumbles into me, ripping her hand away from Austin as he tries to grab her. Harry and Louis nudge me, causing my head to whip to them.

"Run!" Louis shouts, turning around and bolting in the opposite direction.

Camila, Harry, and I follow him, our footsteps echoing off the walls of all the buildings. Austin and Shawn are very close to us, while Brad and Tristan have caught up and are also hot on the trail. I look forward, running around a corner as we sprint up the sidewalks in Seattle. We run past street lights, people who give us weird looks, and different stores. My eyes land on the gun clamped in Harry's hand.

I swipe the gun, turning my body so I'm running backwards. I aim the gun at Shawn, shooting him in the leg. He groans loudly, his leg beginning to spew blood, buckling to the ground. Austin doesn't take a second notice to him, he just keeping running. I move my gun to him, pulling the trigger. The bullet pierces his shoulder, throwing him backward onto the sidewalk.

Suddenly, as I'm pointing the gun at Brad, I feel my foot slip out from underneath me. I fall to the ground, the gun leaving my hand and spiraling out into the street. My body hits the hard sidewalk, and immediately a pain grows in my arm and my back. A cold hand grips my wrist, pulling me back up and dragging me with her.

"C'mon," Camila shouts, her voice shaky from the nerves of being chased. "You didn't leave me behind, I'm not leaving you behind." Her eyes sparkle briefly with safety, but are quickly clouded with reality.

Camila and I continue to run, hand in hand. "Climb the building!" I hear Harry shout from our group. He disappears into a building beside us. We all follow him.

The building must be a hotel because when we burst into the glass doors, all we can hear is the sounds of people screaming. People stumble away from us as we sprint through the large lobby. Another loud yelp comes from the crowd, signaling that Brad and Tristan have also enter the hotel.

"Down the hall!" Louis yells out to us. Camila slaps his arm, causing a loud whipping sound to come from his skin. "Owww.." He complains, rubbing his arm while running.

"Stop shouting our directions to the enemies!" Camila retorts, narrowing her eyes at the boy and gesturing to Brad and Tristan behind us. Louis, ashamed, just slouches his shoulders while running.

"What the hell where we thinking?" I hear Brad pant from behind us. "We should'a brought a gun!"

"Well, you aren't the brightest, Brad!" Tristan retorts, shoving Brad to the side. He stumbles slightly, but quickly regains his balance.

My friends and I hike up the stairs. My legs begin to ache and my breathing becomes heavy and loud; but we keep going. I know that Louis is getting tired because he keeps shaking his head while inhaling and exhaling deeply. We reach another staircase, sprinting up it. My foot gets caught on the edge of a step, throwing me forward.