Chapter 15

The sound of a ringing phone stirs me awake. I groan softly, rolling onto my side. I rub my eyes, opening them when the ringing from the phone doesn't stop. I blink several times, adjusting my eyes to the hotel room. I glance wearily at the clock which reads '1:04 pm' in bright, red letters.

Sitting up on the side of the bed, I run my fingers through my hair, letting my hair fall while stretching. The ringing continues, causing me to groan again. I stand up, glancing at Camila, who is wrapped in the sheets and sleeping peacefully, before turning away from her. I grab the ringing phone, not caring whose phone it is.

"Hello?" I ask drowsily into the phone once I press answer.

"Good afternoon, Camila, guess what time it is?" An unfamiliar voice says in a deep voice on the other side of the line, causing me to furrow my eyebrows.

"Wha—?" I mumble, pulling the phone away from my ear. I stare at the caller I.D, which is labeled 'Stupid Shawn'. I blink slowly at the cellar device in my hands, when I realize that this phone isn't mine; its Camila's. I reluctantly press the phone back up against my ear.

"What? Don't play dumb on me, stupid. You know what time it is." The voice on the other side, most likely Shawn, growls.

"Um, sure, okay." I reply without much thought, not really hearing him, still trying to clear the sleep from my brain.

"Well, it sounds as if you don't remember, so I'll remind your sorry self." Shawn snaps, making me suddenly understand why Camila hates Shawn so much more than she dislikes Austin, as Austin is just a clueless, cocky jerk, Shawn is somewhat more intelligent— if that's what you'd call it —and can push Camila's buttons in ways Austin can't.

"You need to get the two rubies from the jewelry store, the one called 'Stone Jewels', and bring them to me tonight, preferably around 9 pm. Meet me near the bridge, the one about a block from the hotel your staying in." Shawn spits out, his voice rigid and low. "Don't forget, stupid."

"I—" I begin to retort when I hear the sound of him hanging up. I sneer at the phone, tossing it back on the counter.

Running my fingers through my hair, I walk into the bathroom, shutting the door behind me. I place both hands on the edge of the counter, staring at myself in the mirror. My eyes lock with my own eyes, the same shades of green reflecting itself. I feel anger boil up inside me when I remember how Shawn called Camila 'stupid', but I slowly force it down, knowing it won't do any good to lash out now.

I cup my hands under the faucet, filling them with water as I take a shaky breath. I splash the water on my face, repeating the same action again before switching off the water. I glance down into the sink, sighing softly before lifting my eyes up again. I grab the towel, dabbing at my face before running my fingers through my hair once again before opening the bathroom door.

The second I swing the door open, I can hear Camila's voice from the bed.

"Lo?" Camila's drowsy voice calls out, making my heart fill with guilt. She adds when I don't respond, her voice tight and filled with worry, "Lauren?"

I walk out of the bathroom, shutting the door behind me. "Yeah, yeah, Camz," I answer, catching Camila's eye and attention. I walk over to her slowly. "I'm right here."

Camila exhales loudly, grabbing my hands with her very cold ones and pulling me down to sit beside her. "Good. I was scared. I didn't know if—" her voice trails off when her eyes meet mine, she gently rubs her thumb below my eye. "Have you been crying, Lo?"

"What?" I crinkle my nose, wrapping my fingers around her wrist softly pulling it away from my face and onto my knee. "No, I just went into the bathroom to wash my face, and I guess I missed a spot while I was drying my face. Everything is fine."