Chapter Eight - Dinner, Dares & Distress

“Caroline? Niklaus?” Elijah called from the doorway; he of course didn’t need to dress up for dinner as his everyday suit was class enough. He heard Klaus come down the stairs, fiddling with his tie and smoothing out his jacket before standing next to Elijah with a wink.

“Oh get over yourself Niklaus, you’re nearly as bad as Kol.” Elijah muttered but before the sadness could hit them the quiet tapping of heels caused their attention to turn towards the stairs.

She looked flawless, so much so that Klaus’s jaw dropped as he gawped at her. Her dress was a wonderful cream colour and hugged her figure perfectly, a small brown belt around her waist adding to the lace front and the three layers which began from the waist down to her mid thigh. A bronze and golden butterfly necklace added a burst of colour along with her extremely high heeled ankle boots which were in the same shade as her dress; small butterfly shaped holes cut out in the leather which gave a stunning effect. Her purse was small and in a soft beige colour, hanging from her shoulder on a thin golden chain. Her makeup was minimal, shiny lip gloss for a natural look and her eye shadow was a smoky brown look which looked amazing with her loose waves which hung by her shoulders. She was wearing bronze and golden bracelets which made a wonderful noise as she moved down the staircase.

Caroline looked breath taking, as she found out when Klaus was turning slightly purple from the lack of oxygen. Elijah smiled at her as she twirled; agreeing that she did look wonderful but Klaus’s reaction nearly made him laugh.

“You’ll catch flies.” She teased, closing his mouth with her forefinger before taking Elijah’s arm with her left and Klaus’s with her right. “You look beautiful.” Elijah complimented, Caroline thanked him politely before turning to Klaus as he made a strange noise

“Erm, are you alright?” Caroline said with a blush creeping up into her cheeks; he was staring at her like he was when he first saw her at the ball, making her feel slightly embarrassed from the attention.

He nervously cleared his throat before nodding, “Caroline you look ravishing…” He smiled causing her to roll her eyes at him before responding with an eyebrow wiggle. “You look particularly dashing yourself.” She smirked as they walked; the city looked like something from a postcard, the sky was pink in colour as the sun set in the distance. Caroline couldn't blink as she was so afraid she would miss something; the music being played by a band on a street corner was beautiful and smooth, so relaxing and making her want to dance at the same time. Her mouth fell open at the sight of the artists, furiously painting away along to the beat; creating masterpieces in the last golden rays of the sun.

“Stunning, isn’t it?” Klaus whispered in her ear, only getting a small nod in reply as she looked around at everything; closing her eyes at one point in order to hear the music better, letting the sound fill her mind and soothe her nerves.

Klaus pulled out her seat and tucked it in, always the gentleman. He did glare at Elijah though when he reached for the chair; using his hybrid speed to get there first. Caroline almost laughed at his insistence to pour the champagne, as if to prove that it was their thing.

“We don’t have a thing remember.” Caroline laughed; Klaus raised his eyebrow at her whilst Elijah looked baffled by her outburst. “Well drinking champagne is our thing, whether you’ll admit it or not.” He teased, clearing up Elijah’s obvious confusion before handing out the menu.

“Surprise me, order your favourite thing and I’ll eat it.” Caroline grinned, handing Klaus back her menu as she challenged him. Elijah ordered his meal whilst Klaus ordered two of his, already choosing the perfect dessert for her.

The small talk was amusing at times whilst they sipped on their champagne and waited for their meals to arrive. Caroline pulled a puzzled face when a dish she did not recognise was placed in front of her; thanking the waiter she tried a little taste of the food; Klaus watching her as she did so. The flavour exploded in her mouth, it was the best thing she had ever tasted and went beautifully with the wine. She gave him a thumbs up as she chewed; trying not to close her eyes at the wondrous taste.