Chapter 30

"I'm not letting go. I'm not letting go. I'm not letting go," I repeat over and over. We stand at the airport, my arms around Jon's neck.

His plane was announced to start boarding five minutes ago.

"Come on, Kasey. I don't want to go, but I have to. I have school," he says. I finally let go, nervous that something might happen to him like my parents and Jessi. "And besides, I'll be back soon for Christmas."

"Okay Jon. Just be careful," I say.

He picks up his luggage and looks at me. "Aren't I always careful?"

"Jon I mean it."

"Nothing will happen to me. I promise."

"You don't know that."

Jon sighs and kisses my forehead. "I'll see you later, Kay. Love you."

"Love you too, Jonny Boy."

He flashes me one last smile. Then he tells Lisa goodbye once more, and I totally forgot she was there.

And then he is gone. He disappears through the long corridor. My heart drops to the floor like it always does when my family walks out of my life.

Something is going to happen to Jon, I know it. Something will go wrong with the plane.

No. Get that out of your head.

Jon will be fine. He will make it back to his school safely.

Lisa aids me away from Jon and his plane. I drag my feet along the floor, through the airport, and eventually into the parking lot.

Once we get into the car, I curl up and close my eyes. Images of my parents and Jessi flash through my mind. And they aren't pleasant.

I see Jessi laying at her deathbed. Eyes barely able to remain open. Life support is the only thing keeping her alive. Her little hands make no movement as I cover them with my own.

Jessi never had the chance to have long hair like me. She had chemotherapy every month, so not one single hair on her head is present.

Mom and Dad stand on the opposite side of Jessi. Mom is in Dad's arms, crying her eyes out onto my dad's white shirt. Dad's blue eyes are glassy, but not a tear falls. He never liked to cry in front of us, but sometimes it did happen.

Jon must stand behind me because I feel his hands on my shoulders, shaking me.

"What do you want, Jon?" I ask.

But when I turn, it is Lisa standing in front of me. "Are you awake now?"

I sit up in the seat of the car, realizing I had been dreaming of the last time my whole family was alive.

A few strands of Lisa's dark hair fall over her face, in which she pushes them away. "Are you okay?"

"I'm fine," I respond, even though I really am not.

"Let's get you inside. Jackie is here."

She helps me out of the car and holds my hand until we step into the house. Jackie sits on the couch watching television.

Once she sees me, she turns it off and rushes to me. She gives me a hug, her dark arms wrapping around my neck. I lean my head on her shoulder, thankful for her presence.