Chapter 42

"Honey, who just pulled into the driveway?" Lisa asks.

        Sluggishly, I stand up from the couch and make my way to the front door, in which I pull it open. A black car sits in the driveway, and I feel like I should recognize it, but it won't come to me.

        I step out onto the porch, instantly realizing who it is as soon as she steps out of the car. Her blonde hair glimmers against the sun. She tugs downwards on her shirt, still staring at her car, and I don't know why.

        "Lauren!" I yell. Immediately her blue eyes pin me down, and excitement pulses throughout me.

        "Oh my gosh. Kasey!" I sprint towards her with no shoes on, trying to ignore the small rocks piercing my skin and the cool wind chill brushing against my arms.

        I jump right into her opens arms and squeeze the life out of her. At first she stumbles back a little, but she manages to keep us standing.

        "I didn't know you were coming! I thought I had to wait until you finished with school," I say, the energy jumping right out of my throat.

        "Surprise," she says quietly, struggling to speak as her tears interrupt her. "I would've come sooner but I couldn't get out of school, so I waited until spring break."

        "I don't care how long it took you to get here," I say. "You came for me."

       Lauren and I had been texting a lot recently, but she repeatedly told me that she couldn't get out of school, so we had to wait until school was over.

       The warmth of her arms has never felt so right. I haven't seen her in months, and I don't know how I lived without her. Maybe it is because of Jackie. They are very similar.

        "So is your boyfriend here?" Lauren asks me as we begin to head inside.

        "No. He is out somewhere doing who knows what," I reply.

        "Aw man. I was looking forward to meeting this guy," Lauren says entering the house. We walk to the living room, where Lisa sits reading her newspaper.

       "Ah. There you are," Lisa says.

       "You knew Lauren was coming?" I ask.

       "Yes I did," she replies.

       "I'm so tired of secrets," I mutter. Lauren laughs at me as we sink into the couch.

       "I'm pretty sure Adam is the only one that you ever admitted was attractive," she says, and as she does, the front door opens to reveal the man that never ceases to amaze me.

        "I heard attractive, so I know you guys are talking about me," Adam says.

       "Ew. Gross," I say, making a gagging face.

        "You're ugly. I'm not, remember?"

        "Sorry, I don't tend to pay attention to the lies that spit out of your mouth."

        "Good girl."

       "Are you going to introduce me any time soon?" Lauren asks.

        "Oh right." I look at Adam with a small smile. "Adam, this is Lauren. The only other person that I would allow into my life besides Jon."

         "Hey Lauren."

         "Hi," Lauren replies quietly.

        Adam walks to sit on the other side of me, throwing an arm around my neck. I lean into him and ask, "Where were you at?"