Chapter 7

"Is it too early to have a break down in January?" Devin was on the phone to Alex, who was out with Scott, catching up on brotherly things, while she was with Jean. She was out at the shops with Jean, and she really hoped that Jean didn't read her mind to find out that everything was a lie. If she did then she was just keeping quiet about it, which was good for Alex.

"It's the second week of January?" He sounded puzzled, if she didn't know any better she would have guessed that he pulled the phone away from his ear to look at his phone like she just cursed him and his family and their goat.

"I know, but Jean is crying, right here in the middle of the store. I was trying to eat my bagel-" Alex snorted while mumbling that he was putting her on speaker phone, she looked to Jean who gathered an audience. "Jean, I can't enjoy my bagel while you're crying, so you better tell me what the matter is." She awkwardly patted Jean's shoulder with her wrist as she tried not to get bagel crumbs in Jean's hair.

"Jean?" Devin faintly heard Scott's voice.

"Scott?" She looked around confused. "Oh." She looked to your phone. "Jean talk to your boyfriend." Jean nodded her head obediently and took the phone from Devin. "Handle your hormones better, Jean, herd those emotions like they are cattle." Devin saw Jean glare at her, she raised her hands and backed away.

Devin left her alone and went to look at the junk food for Peter, she didn't want to go back to the mansion empty handed, he would never leave her alone. Pestering her for Twinkies and peeps.

"Here," Jean mumbled to her a couple of minutes after she had left her, she wasn't crying as much, and Devin finished her bagel. Devin took the phone and pressed it to her ear while Jean went to continue shopping.

"Okay, is she broken?" She asked whoever it was that was now on the phone to her.

"No." Alex laughed. "We're getting too old for this." Devin hummed in agreement.

"Hopefully not old enough to start buying prune juice religiously." She went to find Jean. "Having fun with baby Summers?" She spotted Jean—who was pushing a rather large stuffed bear, almost the height of Alex, around in the cart—as she went into one of the isles.

"Yeah, we planned dinner for all four of us tomorrow," he told her and Devin groaned slightly. "Come on, free food for you," he persuaded.

"Alex, that may require me to be social, and we did just have lunch last week, so I feel like we've spent enough social time together for the foreseeable...Ever." She told him as she trailed behind Jean, who was wearing a pout on her face, Scott must have let her buy the bear.

"Princess, please." He sighed. "I'll make it up to you with...I don't know with what, but I will." Devin hung her head down before nodding. "Did you nod? I can't see you." She hummed in response. "Great, I'll see you when we get back home then."

With that, he hung up.

"Jean? Can you, like, lighten up?" Jean turned to her with an unamused look before smiling lightly, turning her head away to hide it from Devin. "It was the bear, wasn't it? Or did our little Scott offer you something else?" Devin smirked at Jean as her cheeks went red. "Ah, young love."

She turned to Devin confused. "You and Alex?"

Devin shrugged. "We are old." Jean had nothing more to say. "I'll push the cart, you've got noodle limbs and I'm getting tired arms just watching you struggle to push around the pathetically stocked trolley." Jean shoved her shoulder.

"Has anyone ever told you that you're really intense sometimes?" Devin shrugged again.

"Occasionally I hear the voices in my head whisper it-" Jean looked at her worriedly. "J, I'm being sarcastic." She let out a deep sigh. "They yell it." She stopped walking while Devin carried on laughing quietly to herself.