Chapter 14

It was almost as if the world around Devin was being drowned out, sounds were less clear and it was like the temperature had dropped, her chest felt tight, but she wasn't sure why. She could hear a faint crash. But she was sure that her mind was just replaying the memory over and over again, like a scratched record.

She could also hear yelling, just like the men with the guns. They wore strange uniforms and seemed to completely ignore her. But if they were just there to kill the boy, why would they have so many men? The water around her felt weird against her skin now, maybe it was because she had been in there for so long.

The temperature of the water was slightly colder, almost room temperature, even though her window was open and it was late. For some reason, Devin couldn't really concentrate or bringing herself to get out of the bath. But she did get out somehow. Hands grabbed onto her upper body and pulled her up, screaming at her to breathe, shaking her body.

"Breathe goddamn it! Why the hell would you do that?" The voice yelled at her.

The cold air from the window hit her, a shock sparked through her body and she coughed, feeling liquid come up her throat as she coughed and struggled to open her eyes. Devin's lungs burned and her head felt light. Her eyes opened and she could see more clearly as she gasped and looked around.

Devin was in the bathroom still, the window open. Alex was staring at her. The bathroom door was still opened, her bedroom door broken. Water was on the floor and the bubbles were still there but dying down into the red water.

"What the hell did you do? How much blood did you lose?"

"What?" Devin coughed as she blinked and sucked in a deep breath.

"Were you trying to kill yourself? Or are you just that stupid?"

Devin looked at the water, a deep red colour, but it was the colour of the bath bomb. She looked to Alex and stared.

"Why are you in here?"

"Why am I-? You almost died!"

"What? No, I didn't..."

"You were completely submerged underwater, not breathing, you're surrounded by blood, and you mean to tell me you didn't almost die? What the hell happened to you?"

"It's a bath bomb," she replied confused.

"A what?"

"A bath bomb? It changed the colour of your water...I had a red one."

"Okay," he breathed out, feeling a weight lift off his chest. "So, it's not blood." He nodded understandingly. "But that doesn't explain why you were completely underwater not breathing."

"Did you break my door?" She turned her head to look at the splintered wood.

"Stop ignoring the question!"

"I must have fallen asleep, I haven't been myself lately and I'm tired." Devin brought her knees up to her chest and put her head in her hands. "I'm also naked and would like up for you to leave so I can get dressed."

"I'm not leaving, you might slip and fall," he answered almost sarcastically, but with a dark tone.

"It's fine, I'll heal, I always do." Devin sighed, those words were almost too painful to say. It wasn't fair that she got to heal and the boy didn't. She didn't even know his name. She rubbed her eyes before staring at the red water in front of her. "I just want to be alone right now..." She told him quietly.

"You've been alone for a week and a half, I gave you space. Why do you keep pushing me away? First lying to me about the mission, now this?"

"I've done something bad, Alex. Something that you will hate me for." Devin looked up at him with pained eyes.

"What?" He raised an eyebrow worriedly.

"You know the mutant I was meant to bring back?" She could feel the lump forming in her throat once more.

"Yeah?" He asked cautiously as he watched her.

"I messed up. I messed everything up." Devin shook her head, pulling at her hair. "He was hurt, and I tried to heal him like Charles taught me, but I was too late." She gulped, somehow still having tears left in her. "I killed him. I killed someone Alex, I'm a monster." She dropped her hands back to her legs pulling them closer to her body and tighter than before.

"No, you did the right thing. I hate seeing you like this, but I don't hate you." He shook his head, brushing her hair out of the way.

"Stay away from me, I don't want to hurt you as well." Devin pushed his hands away.

"Is that what you're doing? Trying to make me hate you?"

"If I push you away you could finally be happy."

"Is that what you think is going to make me happy?" Devin nodded. "You couldn't be more wrong."