Chapter 10

Devin was in one of the planes on the way to the last location Charles had said the mutant had been. The plane felt much bigger when it was just her. She had her duffle bag beside her while she was trying to steer through the fog. It was going to be a long flight to get to the mutant, so Hank had taught her how to use autopilot and Charles gave her books to read in case she got bored at some point.

Although Devin doubted that she would get bored. More than likely she'd get nervous, terrified even, and the urge to back out. But she knew she had to do this, for the mutant's sake that is. Devin also had snacks, thanks to Peter. He told her that he made a sacrifice and packed her his Twinkies and told her to take care of them.

The others had given her a hug. But Alex, the one person she wanted to see, locked himself away in his room. He didn't come down to say goodbye, he didn't kiss her forehead or call her princess, he didn't make any jokes or comments to ease her mind. He just left. Maybe it was for the best. Why should he have false hope when she might not even come back? Devin couldn't tell him to wait for her to come home. To make him promise to wait for her.

He did have a life. One that didn't always involve her. One where she wasn't always in it. He didn't have her before being recruited. He didn't have her during the Vietnam War. He probably won't have her after this. But maybe that was for the best. He should get on with his life, he should find someone better, settle down, have a family, be happy.

He should find someone that appreciates how warm he gets a night or find it cute how he usually kicks off the blankets, shoving them away from him, stretching himself out with a small groan before he finally settles back down, his mouth slightly open and the sound of his soft breathing.

The warmth of his hands when it's cold, during winter when he'd grab hold of her hands and heat them up with a proud smirk on his face.

The feel of his hands warming up to hold on her stomach if she had pains, or when he gives her small massages without realising it.

The warmth of his lips against her forehead as he greets her, or says goodbye, or when he wants to comfort her.

The way he'd shrug off his jacket to give to her when he notices that she's cold, or the heat from his body traveling over to hers even when they're not even touching.

The shy smirk on his face when he talks to someone about something he passionate about, the way he could talk for hours, his voice when he gets really into a topic.

The sound of his laugh, the way he throws his head back and squeezes his eyes shut as he can't hold in the laughter. The light slapping of his leg when he finds something far too funny.

The feel of his arms wrapping around her body, his head buried into her neck, or his hands rubbing circles to comfort her.

The way he'd wrap his arm over her shoulder so he doesn't lose her in a crowd, or wrapping an arm around her waist to steer off someone who makes her uncomfortable.

Or how he always smells of coffee and the woods, and his clothes linger in his smell for days, which is one of the reasons why she would always steal his clothes but give them back a couple of days later when they stop smelling of him.

The way he runs his hands through his hair when he gets nervous or frustrated. When he had shorter hair, he wouldn't notice how often he did it, but now that's it's grown out he always seems to notice because of the knots he'd given himself.

The way his hair looks messy in the morning.

The way his hair falls in front of his eyes even when his sunglasses have pushed them back.

How he would let her put it up for him, or plait it before a training session, taking in all the comments about how much of a pretty boy he is.

The way he jokes around with Scott.

How caring, supportive and proud he is of his little brother. He wouldn't care about anyone else's opinion of himself, only Scott. Because in his eyes he's only cool if Scott thinks he is. His brother is his world, and he just wants Scott to have the best out of life even though he has a mutation, that doesn't matter because Scott will always and forever be his perfect little brother.

How he doesn't realise how strong he actually is sometimes. Often breaking things by accident by holding them too tightly. And the way he tries to be gentle when he does notice his strength. How delicate his touch could be.

That when he has a nightmare, he'd try and find the closest living thing and hold onto it when he feels alone.

How he'd hold her from behind, wanting her to feel safe and protected, to let himself know that he can protect her.

How he lays his head on her and tightly holds onto her while soft sobs rack through his body quietly, not wanting to wake her up. Or if she'd wake up first and hold onto him and physically feel his body relax.

There was so much more to Alex Summers.

Devin didn't realise that she had fallen in love with her best friend, and that terrified her. All of these new feelings were scaring the shit out of her. How long had she felt this way? Because, surely, she wouldn't have noticed all of these traits in a couple of days. Or the few weeks that they had been pretending to date.

She quickly shook her head and focused, what little attention she seemed to gain, back on the mission. Luckily, she hadn't ended up crashing during her daydream. The fog had gone and was replaced by a small flurry of sand. She focused on landing the plane down in an area of rubble, leaving her hidden.

Devin got up and looked around in the smaller bag she had packed for a bottle of water. Luckily, Hank had also given her water, knowing how hot it was going to be.

Charles had written down the address and gave her a picture of what the mutant looked like. It was a small picture of a boy with dark skin, his eyes almost looked black. Devin got up with the bag and made her way to the exit of the plane, waiting as the doors opened. It was time to find the mutant.

-

"Do you still have them? Hank asked for the fiftieth time that hour. Hank had tried to create a smaller cerebro to help Charles locate the mutants.

"Yes, Hank, he's still in the building and she's still looking around," Charles told him.

"I don't see why we can't just give her directions..." He continued.

"Because she told us that she didn't want any help, that she could do this on her own. Have some faith in her. Besides, this cerebro isn't strong enough for me to do that, this is only your prototype version for the new one," Charles explained.

The other mutants had been surrounding him, even Alex who was in the corner of the room with his arms crossed furthest away from everyone else. Just listening in. Charles turned back to the wall in front of him to concentrate. His eyes focusing on the wooden walls as he searched for Devin and the new mutant. It was silent for a very long time. Far too long in fact.

"Oh no, I've lost both of them," Charles whispered out.

"Did she find him?"

"Yes." He nodded weakly.

"Then what's the problem?"

"They weren't alone."