chapter four

04 x where there's a will ...

>>>

The Battle of Manhattan. The Avengers first premier together.

I personally thought it was a wicked first moment for them as a team. And I mean, I've gotta say, Steve did great. However, my least favorite part of his was when he went into the building with the hostages and nearly got blown up.

Yeah, I wasn't a happy camper after that one. To make matters worse (or perhaps just more interesting?) Steve had seen me seeing him. He knew I was there. I wasn't sure if that was a hindrance or help at first, until I started casually teleporting Chitauri back into their perimeter lines, and even out of buildings, and I saw him flash a smile over at where I was hiding.

Cheeky bastard.

Afterwards I felt a sort of obligation to go say hi. Not that I wouldn't have, anyway, but I probably would've popped off elsewhere and unwound first. After all, I was currently only on SHIELD's radar enough to know I existed. I didn't really want to add to their 'Jo Wilkes information cache.' Call me paranoid, but I'm not a fan of big agencies.

And, you know . . . I know the future.

(You've no idea how much that one killed me. I was miserable for a month real-time after I made the discovery; wallowed on a desolate planet with a pretty view and hoped to wish it all away. It didn't work.)

Steve was easy to find after the Battle of Manhattan. I'm not talking fan girls everywhere -- he's no Tony Stark -- I'm just saying . . . I could probably find him if he was underground on a desert moon in Kree territory without a hitch. Maybe I have an emotional connection. I was actually starting to wonder about that, because there should be no logical reason that I could track him so easily.

Or maybe it's just 'cause he gets himself into trouble so often.

He was in a bookstore when I came across him. Perusing books, being his usual self.

I whispered "Pssssst," from the SciFi section until he caught on that someone was trying to get his attention, and came looking.

The smile that lit up his face the moment he saw me had my own cheeks hurting with the size of my own smile. I didn't even get out a, "Nice work, Cap," before I was wrapped up in a tight bear hug.

It was a nice hug, one I didn't want to end. And at first it felt like it wouldn't; he hung onto me for nearly five minutes, the both of us silent, until he slowly released me.

It wasn't until he was stepping back and holding my arms that I realized he'd lifted me a few inches off the ground in the process. I smiled brightly at him. "Good to see you too, Stevie."

"I saw you in Manhattan," he told me, his voice a whisper, likely a precaution in case of other customers.

I grinned deviously. "What, you thought I was gonna sit this one out?"

He smiled right back and didn't miss a beat, "I was curious . . ."

I swatted his arm for that one, which only caused him to laugh as I shook my head. "The day I let you fight a big one alone, Cap, is likely the day I'm dead." Then my face turned extremely sober, "Or if they were having a free coffee all day at Starbucks moment . . . might miss helping out then."

It was his turn to whack me, though it was with much less force than I'd exerted, and this one had us both laughing.

"But really, Jo," Steve said, "I haven't seen you since practice a few nights before Fury came to me about the Initiative. Where've you been?"

I smiled bemusedly at him. "Oh you know, here, there, everywhere. Also, in case you haven't noticed, you have a crap ton of monkey-suit people that hang around you at SHIELD," I pointed out, making a face. "Not a fan."

"They're mostly good people," Steve defended immediately.

I studied him for a fraction of a second. "Natasha and Clint, sure, but I'm not convinced on everyone else."

He just shook his head, breathing out a laugh. "For some reason, that doesn't surprise me."

"Y'know why, Cap?" I asked, smile threatening to burst my face with the joy I suddenly felt, "'Cause you know me. We've spent too much time together -- you're stuck with me. Speaking of, I haven't eaten yet. Wanna take me out?"

Steve smiled that same charming smile I had seen in so many forms now. It had taken me some time to realize it wasn't an expression he extended to just anyone; this was a me face. And I cherished that. I enjoyed that his eyes lit up like that for me, and that he was quick to wrap an arm around my shoulders and walk with me out of the store. I enjoyed the comfort.

Steve was familiarity, with his crystalline blue eyes and his strong build and capable demeanor. He was safe, with his quick wit and teasing jabs and cautious gaze.

Steve was the closest to home I would ever get, which was exactly why I was so pleased when he said, "Y'know, I think I know a place." Then there was a pause, only a short one, before, "And you should know it'll always be my honor to be 'stuck' with you."

That man has a way with words, I tell you.