chapter twenty eight

28 x just dive on in

>>>

Allow me to be the first to say it -- I have mad freaking teleportation skills.

All right, there, it's been said, it's out in the open . . . let's keep going.

Given coms were not a thing on this particular mission (mostly because we did not have the time nor amount to make that work) communication between squads was being relied upon by telepaths and myself. Not entirely a bad thing -- but also not my main concern.

I'd made sure each squadron had gone where was necessary. I'd sent Storm and Wanda with the team that was handling the Brotherhood, and Sue and Vision off with the team that was handling the doom-bots. Meanwhile Squad One was already working their butts off on evac -- I saw Shadowcat and Warren both already herding civilians in the open toward the subway station -- but I had a couple other things that needed to be handled.

Lucky for me, I had Steve to help with the other 'minor' details. (They weren't really minor . . . but there was no need for me to bother the rest of the heroes with them.)

"We . . . are in the middle of the tourist area?" Steve observed, turning to me with a furrowed brow. His shield was still on his back, but he was starting to draw attention.

"Right, no big deal," I assured him immediately, flashing him a smile. "I just wanted to inform you of what we are doing before spontaneously dropping us in the middle of a restricted access area. Where people will ask questions."

Steve just kind of stared at me before nodding. "Considerate of you."

"You know I try," I chuckled. "But the point. You and I are going to see a friend of mine to help speed up Squad One's evacuation process. I'd rather the national guard know what's going on now, mostly so no one gets needlessly killed."

Steve just smiled at me, shaking his head slightly. "I appreciate the heads up. Is there a point in me asking how you know . . . whoever this person is?"

I merely smiled. "You'll find out soon enough, Stevie. Now-- onwards!" Then I grabbed his hand, and we were gone.

--

[ Third POV ]

"Why in the world did she drop us all on the roof?"

Johnny shook his head in amusement at Rhodey's question. "Your guess is as good at ours."

Clint was already on the move, heading toward the edge, looking out and around. He was impressed, though he wouldn't necessarily say those words. "She chose a good roof," Clint noted then. "I mean, for me."

"Strategy," Sam nodded in understanding. "I get it."

"And the rest of you are just supposed to take off," Clint said then, snapping his bow open and turning to look at them. He waved behind them at a large air ship that was clearly coming in; "That look like Doom tech to you, Torch?"

Johnny's eyes darkened as he nodded. "Unfortunately, yeah, it does." He paused then. "So we're supposed to what . . . go after it?"

Clint glanced back over the edge of the roof again as Sam pulled his goggles down and Rhodey's face mask slid into place. "Given the Brotherhood are ascending upon the tourists now, first priority is making sure evac is successful -- stick to the sky, protect the evacuators." He cast a wary gaze toward the ship. "Then we can worry about . . . that."

"I'm with Barton on that one," Rhodey agreed. "Clint, you still got your earpiece in? I know the mission doesn't have them officially--"

"I have mine," Clint confirmed.

"Same here," Sam said. "Mine's built into the suit."

"Mine's built into my hearing aids," Clint retorted.

"Well," Johnny said, bursting into flames, "mine's nonexistent. So if any of you need me . . . make it obvious." Then he took off.

Rhodey and Sam exchanged looks before nodding. Sam was the first to shoot after Johnny, soaring easily.

Rhodey gave Clint one more look as the archer began to string up a bow. "You gonna be good here?"

Clint flashed the Colonel a smile over his shoulder. "I'll let somebody know if I'm not."

Rhodey seemed to accept that before he too took off. They had a job to do, after all, and it wasn't like Clint was incapable of handling himself.

Heck, Rhodey was pretty sure Hawkeye'd be better off than he was.