chapter twenty nine

29 x can you trust madame back to the future?

>>>

[ Back to Jo ]

Appearing in the middle of a highly secure American facility in the country's capitol is (not surprisingly) not the worst thing I've ever done in my life.

But the response Steve and I received was definitely not one he was expecting.

The two-dozen or so armed men in the room all drew their weapons and aimed at us at once, suspicion obvious on their faces as they regarded both of us. I could practically feel Steve jumping beside me in shock at the response, but I didn't really have time to process through it; I was a little preoccupied scanning the room for one individual in particular.

I found him easily -- he was staring at me slack-jawed, weapon still sheathed.

I pointed at him, a wide grin breaking my lips open; "Major Cramer!"

Dark blue eyes focused in on mine and the major forced a smile to his lips as I waved pleasantly at him, as though completely unaware of the weapons pointed at me. "Jo," he said slowly, before his voice rose, "Weapons down, everyone. Now."

Ever so slowly, the men and women in the room acquiesced to the major's request. I nodded in thanks at those nearest to me, before turning back to Steve, "Cap, this is Major Ronald Cramer," I introduced, waving the major over.

Major Cramer moved slowly over to me, taking in Steve with a considerable amount of surprise.

"Major," I proceeded, "this is Captain Steve Rogers -- or, you know, Captain America."

Steve extended a hand to the major; "Pleasure to meet you, sir."

"And you as well," Cramer said, accepting Steve's handshake without hesitation. "I've heard a lot about you . . . I apologize for the, ah, greeting. My latest team isn't really used to Jo's spontaneity," he explained, giving me a sideways look. "Speaking of, what in the world has graced me with your presence?"

"Well, Major, there's this little-bitty issue that's come up," I said, flashing him a close-mouthed smile before glancing at the men and women around me. "I'm gonna have to ask you to help with the evacuation of the tourist area of D.C." I turned back to Cramer then, sobriety overcoming my features. I maintained steady eye contact with him, even as his eyes widened fractionally.

"Please tell me this is one of your test-runs," Cramer said slowly.

I shook my head immediately, but it was Steve who answered him. "I'm afraid not, sir. There are considerably great threats upon the area at the moment -- we've got teammates working on evacuation now, but it would be beneficial if we had the help of the . . ." he trailed off, glancing to me as he said, "National Guard?"

I nodded in the affirmative, smiling affectionately at him before he continued.

"Also," Steve said, an inaudible sigh causing his chest to rise and fall, "I'm afraid that next Jo's going to ask to see your superior -- who I'm sure she knows, and who will probably be the one to give the official command."

Cramer assessed Steve with a certain level of respect that I knew he didn't give out freely, before nodding once. "Understood, Captain." He turned to me then. "I can begin the assisting with your teammates. Anything in specific I should know before you go see the general?"

"Yeah," I gave a crooked smile, "there's a whole lotta crap goin' on out there right now, so if you see anyone in spandex, or colorful costumes telling you what to do, well -- I'd listen." I glanced about the room then, given everyone else was still regarding Steve and I in surprise. "Also," I said louder, "all of you should be glad to have Cramer as your major. He's one of the finest I've met -- and that's saying something."