𝗶𝘅. the death of a bachelor

❛ 𝐅𝐋𝐀𝐓𝐋𝐈𝐍𝐄

❛ 𝐅𝐋𝐀𝐓𝐋𝐈𝐍𝐄 . . .
009. the death of  a bachelor
──────

(this is a long one but, as you can see from the preview gif, it's very worth it, i pinky promise)

An exit like the one she craved required strategy, Beth knew that.

Leaving things behind wasn't as easy as just packing a bag and saying 'Oh to hell with it' and it hadn't taken her four and a half of therapy to figure that one out.

But, what did take her a moment, just a second, was standing in the middle of the surgical department, ripping the band aid right off––

A high tech hospital like this meant that the trauma clinics she'd been bouncing around for the past near half-decade completely paled in comparison–– her head turned, watching scrubs and doctor's coats pass.

She watched gurneys be pushed with urgency towards the OR floor, nurses as they exchanged charts and visitors as they strayed with confusion over the hospital map. She stood solitary as the world spun around her and held her breath.

For the tiniest moment, she missed home.

But not this home, that home, New York.

She missed being a surgical intern again, of being a part of this chaos. She'd once been the sort of doctor that would put their whole heart and soul into a code blue sprint, and joked that they'd been training their whole life for it.

She'd been the doctor who would really go for it, get the first, make sure everything was fine. She'd been so driven, so motivated, so passionate about her work––

"Hey, Beth."

Beth blinked.

When her eyes refocused, George was standing there.

He was smiling hesitantly as he approached her, seemingly put off by the way she clutched herself as if for dear life. Beth drew in a very long, deep breath, and smiled at him, trying to make an effort to appear like everything was fine.

"George, right?"

She wasn't very good with names.

"I heard that your brother pulled through," He said after a nod. He was still dressed in his scrubs, just like he had been a few days ago. He also held a clipboard to his chest, gripping it tightly as he stood on the balls of his feet. "I told you it would work out, you just had to have faith..."

"You know what," Beth paused for a second, "That's the only 'told you so' I've ever received that I haven't hated."

(And god, hadn't she got them a lot.)