𝘅𝘅. do you know who you are?

❛ 𝐅𝐋𝐀𝐓𝐋𝐈𝐍𝐄

❛ 𝐅𝐋𝐀𝐓𝐋𝐈𝐍𝐄 . . .
020. lights up by harry styles
SEASON 5, EPISODE 22
━━━━━━━━━━━

SEATTLE

Beth had been halfway out of the door when Lexie had appeared suddenly, stepping into her path like a rock sliding into a river.

   "You quit?"

She sounded incredulous.

Her eyebrows were raised halfway up her forehead as Beth sighed, loudly, in the doorway of Meredith's kitchen. She was contorted under the weight of a bag, a travel mug of coffee in one hand and her sanity in another. With all of that piled on top of her, Beth groaned out her name with nothing but dread:

   "Lexie."

   "I thought she was joking," Lexie continued, "I mean–– when Doctor Wyatt said you were off the case–– I–– I laughed––"

   "I really don't have time for this––"

She didn't. She really, really didn't.

Eli, the nurse from Archer's escape attempt, was sitting in his car out front, carpooling with Beth to the hospital so she could go schmooze over jello cups for the next seven hours like it was a full-time job. She was busy and she was in a rush–– but Lexie was adamant.

  "I laughed right in her face," Lexie rambled, spluttering with every sigh as it escaped Beth's lips. There were many, "And that's embarrassing because she's technically my therapist, right? LIke... what if I needed a therapist and Katherine Wyatt was the only one available and then I couldn't have her because I laughed in her face––"

   "You can find another therapist, okay, Lexie?" Beth said, a little too loudly as she attempted to speak over the onslaught of words, "But  I really mean it. I'm in a rush––"

  "It was embarrassing," She said, "It was embarrassing because I laughed a-and then I asked George what was going on and he wouldn't say anything––"

(At the mention of his name, it took everything within Beth to not wince.)

And then, Lexie's  shoulders slumped, "You really left the case?"

In all honesty, this was the last thing Beth needed this morning. The last thing she wanted to do, as a woman who had once been told by her own shrink that she was a workaholic to an almost obsessive and detrimental degree, was to think about her professional failure for longer than necessary.

Oh, and George too.

Specifically, the way he'd gotten better at avoiding her than her douchebag of an ex-boyfriend.