𝘅𝘅𝗶. MAN ON FIRE / addendum

❛ 𝐅𝐋𝐀𝐓𝐋𝐈𝐍𝐄

❛ 𝐅𝐋𝐀𝐓𝐋𝐈𝐍𝐄 . . .
021. man on fire
SEASON 5, EPISODE 22
━━━━━━━━━━━

A SHORT CONTINUATION OF THE LAST CHAPTER...

 "Oh my god," George groaned, pressing his hand to his face, "I can't believe I just said that in a church."

Beth didn't really think that she ever came out, per se, but if she had, she couldn't quite say she would've chosen to do it in a Catholic church.

She made the remark to him once he'd eased up; once he realised that saying it out loud wasn't going to ruin his life as he knew it or strike him dead in the street–– he was gay and that, as far as Beth was concerned, was perfectly acceptable.

The setting of all of this, however?

"I heard a rumour once that if you're actively homosexual in a church an angel dies," Beth remarked, trying her best to lighten the mood, "But don't worry... I reckon Gabriel's safe..."

There was a pause as George squinted over at her, still teetering on the edge of a very clear identity crisis.

"Get it?" Beth prompted lightly, her smile wavering, "Gabriel... Gay–briel... It's... It's in the name."

George hadn't really known what to say to that.

Luckily, Beth did.

She tried her best to make this blunder worth it and not make him spend the rest of his life traumatised about how he'd blurted out something so important to him, all to some dumb stranger at his best friend's wedding.

Have you told anyone this before?

No. I don't–– No.

Thank you for telling me. Doesn't it feel good to say it out loud?

I feel hot. Do you feel hot? It's really hot in here. I don't think I–– Is it just me?

She picked him up off of the floor of the church, dragged him back outside and gave him a pep talk far away from prying eyes down a back alley. She did her damn best to make it productive.

It was good to joke about it, Beth had found: take the weight off of his shoulders and loosen him up. As he spoke about how he'd never really told anyone that before and how he was just lost on what to do now, Beth tried to thin it out into something digestible––

"So let's get this straight," Beth cleared her throat and then groaned inwardly as George looked up at her, mumbling the words 'good joke' apparently against his will, "The reason you were asking me so much about how long I'd be in town and if I wanted to go out sometime for lunch or dinner–– that was all because you wanted me to be your therapist?"