Four

It was quickly determined that I was in no shape to climb the ladder out of the case, so Newt left for a short interval to bring supplies for us to sleep with the animals.

I eased myself into the sand, sighing as the warm grains welcomed me. Pickett crawled out from his hiding place under the flap of my coat. How are you holding up?

I'm okay, I guess, I sighed, looking up at the fake night sky. I mean, yeah, I hurt a little bit, but I'll be okay. I'm- I can get through it. Besides, I really love all you creatures. You're incredible.

To be fair, we've never met a human who can talk to us before, Pickett said airily. You're not too shabby yourself.

Thank you, Pickett, I laughed. I just hope Newt doesn't try to get rid of me just because I got hurt.

If he does, tell him that I said to keep you. He listens to me. And Mandus.

Thanks, Pickett.

I wriggled my shoulders, ignoring the throbbing in my side. I knew that I needed to tell Newt about the visions that I had- that sort of vision directly after what happened with Wisely? It had to be a direct relation.

Mandus scuttled up next to me. Newt's here, he chirped. I stroked his head, and he scurried away to make room for Newt, who sat in the sand next to me with a basket. Newt opened the basket and removed two plates of pasta, setting one in my lap. I sat up halfway, propping my elbows in the sand.

Neither of us spoke, but Newt looked so distant that I felt I had to invoke conversation. "So, the burrowing beetle. Where'd you find it?"

Newt half looked at me with his twitchy smile. "Oh, er, found him in Central Park. He was, and this is funny looking back at it but it was horrible at the time, he was stuck in a spiderweb because he was trying to get to some people. These insects are incredibly rare, and that spider was just going to eat him!"

I laughed. "That's neat! What about Mandus?"

"Mandus?" Newt echoed, baffled.

"Oh, the niffler. He told me he likes that name."

Newt nodded with a curious expression. "What goes on in your head," he wondered out loud. I blushed and busied myself with the spaghetti. "I need to tell you something."

Newt's face fell. "You want to leave? I understand, I tend to annoy people-"

"No. I find your company enjoyable, it's just... when the obscurial pierced me, I had visions."

Newt turned white. "Visions?"

"Yeah. There was fire, and a courtroom, and water, and blood, Newt, so much blood."

His blue eyes went dark. "Salem."

"Salem?"

"Salem," Newt confirmed. He stood, setting his plate aside. He was pacing now, raking his hands through his hair. Mandus chattered nervously. He never gets like this unless he's afraid, the niffler informed me.

"Newt, you gotta tell me what you're thinking," I said, struggling to stand up. Newt looked at me with glazed eyes, and I knew he was in a whole different world. Managing to make it to my feet, I grabbed Newt's hunched shoulders   They were surprisingly muscled- but, then again, he had carried me back to the shed. I shook him roughly. "Newt! Talk to me!"

His head snapped up, and he pinched the bridge of his nose. "Salem," he muttered again. "Those who burned... the oppressed magic... killing Muggles... it all fits!"

"What all fits?"

I'd only known Newt for a few short hours, but I knew him enough to know this. He looked me straight in the eyes, and he never does that.

"Hazel, the obscurials are spirits."