Eight

All I can say is wow. Into the Newtcase has barely been alive for a month, and I've got, what, 250 views? Thank you so much to anyone and everyone who has graced my little book with your eyeballs!

I groaned, rubbing my eyes from underneath the ridiculous contraption Newt made me put on. "Newt, I don't see anything! These things are useless- what did you call them, again?"

"Spectrespecs," Newt informed me. "They're a prototype I'm working on- they can help you see Demiguises, even when you can't!"

"Really intelligent, Newt," I informed him.

"It sounded smarter in my head," he admitted. "But I thought that maybe, it would let you see obscurials, too!"

"Well, it doesn't. In fact-"

I unlatched the briefcase and slipped inside. Anyone who looked into the tall tree we were in would be supremely baffled. Newt followed me as I paced to Wisely's enclosure. I planted my feet, put one hand on my hip, and waved the other around dramatically. "Newton Artemis Fido Scamander, you tell me. Is there or is there not an obscurial floating in front of me!"

"There is," Newt said nervously.

I took off the Spectrespecs and looked at Wisely, who had most certainly not been in my line of vision two seconds before. "Then why couldn't I see him through the Spectrespecs?"

Newt looked dumbfounded, then resigned. He took the glasses from me, and put them on. He took a step back. "Where'd he go?"

"He's right here, Newton," I told him with a sigh.

Newt took off the ridiculous things and blushed. "Right."

Wisely chuckled. He tries.

I'm not buddy buddy with you, mister! I warned him. You could at least tell me where to find one of you! We're trying to help you!

Wisely's voice turned cold. I have told you before. I have told you everything you need to know.

Then give me the visions again! Let me go over it again! I- I need to revise!

Wisely snorted. Your mind cannot take twice. I was astounded you survived the first time.

Thanks, Wisely. But seriously- my mind can communicate with you! I can take it, I promise! 

This time will not be as easy as the last, the obscurial warned me. There will be more detail of what I and my fellow magicians were put through.

I understand.

I  looked over my shoulder at Newt, who had been standing awkwardly outside our soundless conversation. "Hey Newt?"

"Yes?"

"Catch me, this time."

"Wait, what are you-"

Wisely lunged, again forming spikes. This time, instead of going through my chest, the inky black spear passed through my head. I felt a splitting pain right where the neck meets the skull, and I fell, but not before Newt was standing behind me.

I didn't pass out this time, not yet, anyway. I blinked up at Newt, who had hoisted me up. He winced, but didn't stop, and I knew his chest was hurting. I fumbled to pull out my wand, and I tapped him on the chest. He relaxed, and looked at me, carrying me with ease now. "What'd you do?" 

"Healing spell," I mumbled, breaking into a hot, sticky sweat. "From you know, when I was fourteen and all I wanted was to be an animal doctor."

"You'd be a great doctor."