Chapter 7

Vania POV
Practice

"Work those legs, Gaffney! Where's your energy?" Coach Orion yell out. Julie wasn't even moving her legs.

"I think I'm gonna be sick." Julie said and lean over to threw up. I just made a disgusting face since I smell it. I skate over to Charlie and Fulton

"This is total crap. I can't play for this drill sergeant." Charlie said to us.

"Play for us, Charlie. The Ducks. Come on, man." Fulton reply. I nod to his comment.

"All right, Fulton. Get low, bend your knees, smooth strokes." Charlie told Fulton.

After doing laps. We practice.

"Over here, over here." I yell out to Averman.

"You know, I don't see a captain out here ! On your left. Pass it. Make him make
the first move, Conway!" Coach Orion yell out as we passed him.

"Hey, Averman, you got nothing !" Russ yell out

"Over here, Charlie! Come on, Charlie, clear it out ! Clear it out" Dwayne yell out to Charlie

"Freeze ! I said freeze !" Coach Orion order. We all just stop well Averman actually did freeze and end up hitting the wall.

"Averman!" Connie said

"I did freeze." Averman reply

"Where's the one place you never want to clear the puck" Coach Orion asked Charlie

"It looked open." Charlie answer

"Just answer the question, Conway." Coach Orion reply

"Listen, I'm not a defenseman, I'm a scorer" Charlie yell out making me flinch

"Follow me." Coach Orion order going to where Julie was throwing up before. Charlie just follow him and walked in the box. 

"Anybody share his opinion ? All right then, take a knee. What's the one thing all great teams have in common" Coach Orion asked 

"Great coaching." Averman reply. I just rolled my eyes at him.

"Don't try to suck up to me, Averman. Defense. See, unlike scoring, defense never quits. But to play great defense, you need one thing above all else." Coach Orion reply 

"Bet it starts with a W." Averman whispered to me. 

"Confidence. Listen, if you learn nothing else when you're here, you learn this. All right ? 'Cause it's not just about hockey. It's easy to be confident when you have control of the puck. It's very, very difficult to keep that confidence... when you gotta take whatever strange bounces life throws your way. Don't be careless, but don't be too careful either. You cannot be afraid to lose. That's how you gain the confidence to attack the game... when the puck isn't yours. That's how you attack life, even when you think you don't have any control. And that's how you play real defense." Coach Orion told us . We all just went to our lockers. 

When I left the lockers. I saw Adam looking very tired. I walked over to him. 

"Hey Bankies." I said and he looked to me. 

"Hey Van" Adam reply. 

"Are you okay? You looked like you been hell and back" I asked

"I'm fine it's just Varsity is really pushing me to be awesome" Adam reply.

"Well I was about to go to get some food in Casey work. Do you join me" I asked.

"If you don't mind" Adam reply

"Nah it's fine but I'm paying for my own. You pay for your food" I warned joking.

"Of course" Adam said as we get of the school. We were about to go to the bus stop when Adam stopped and was staring at something. When I looked the way he was seeing. I saw Charlie and Linda

"Oh, yeah ? Well, try me.
Hi, I'm Charlie Conway.
I'm a 14-year-old, almost six-foot, nonsmoking Leo. I like hockey, pizza and music.
And I dislike everything
about that school. Except maybe you. Now you try."

"I'm Linda. I don't like it
here either."

"And pizza"

"I like pizza."

"Music?"

"Of course I like music.
I like Pantera."

"No way ! I love Pantera.
So the only thing we don't agree on is hockey. Too violent ? Don't understand the rules?"

"I have to admit. I've never been to a game."

"You have never heard of the Anaheim Mighty Ducks. They named a pro team after us."

"Sorry."

"Oh, man. Well, uh... we have a game on Friday. And I was just thinking that maybe you could come down... and we could snag a Coke or something afterwards?"

"I still don't know you that well."

"Did I tell you I'm allergic to nuts ? Any kind of nut. I swear. I blow up. It's kind of gross. And R.E.M. ? Yeah ?
john Woo movies ? And I really like talking to you. What else?"

"I don't know. just keep talkin'."

"Yes"

Charlie said and getting on the bus. I just look back at Adam. He looked hurt.

"Adam I'm got asked you a question and but fully honest with me" I said and Adam just nod.

"Do you like Charlie" I asked

"I love him actually" Adam whispered

"Love" I asked

"It just I been thinking about Charlie. I don't think this is a crush anymore honestly Vania" Adam looked at me scared and tearing up. I just sigh and hug him.

"Adam if you ever need a friend. You still have me here for you" I said pulling back.

"Now do you still want to go for food." I asked and Adam nod.