Chapter 1

It's been three weeks since the attack in the woods. I have begun to think I am losing my mind. I woke up in my bed the day after the attack and I had just disinfected and wrapped the massive wolf bite on my foot. I woke and it was gone, except the tissue had scared over. I could see the scares of each tooth mark on my foot. I could not believe my own eyes and I went to the clinic and told the doctor what happened, but he said the tissue looked like it had been closed up for at least two years. I was not a human doctor, but I knew plenty about human injuries. My logical brain agreed with his assessment, but I knew that I had not imagined this whole thing.

I pulled my long bright red hair into a messy bun and I began to prepare for class. I opened my drawer and fished out a comfortable long sleeve tee shirt and a loose pair of jeans. I had never been much into the skin tight clothing trends, but now I hated feeling constricted. Thankfully I had no friends in this town, because there was no one walking into my house, when I got mad at my pair of skinny jeans and shredded them. The really weird part is that I just pulled the fabric apart, as if it gave me no resistance.

My pale green eyes looked over my appearance appraising it, I just shrugged and made for my front door. The scents of the forest hit me, as they seemed to do every day since the attack, but it was much more intense today. I felt my blood pound and my body become excited for something. I found myself licking my lips at the scent that was filling my nose. It was a buck, I don't know how I knew it, but it smelled male and juicy.

I wanted to go, what? It's not like I had a damn gun or anything. How exactly was I planning to take down a buck? More to the point, why the hell am I thinking about killing bambi's dad, when I am a few months from being a certified animal doctor? Aside from the wolf that may or may not have attacked me, I have never harmed a living creature. I do not count my fishing hobby either, because that is just natural selection at work there.

I forced myself into my car and I looked up to adjust my rear-view mirror and I hopped in my seat at the sight before me. My pale green eyes, that I had all my life, were now crisp jade and they were faintly glowing. My heart rate shot up and I began to hyperventilate. I scrubbed my hands over my face a few times, as if I could will my eyes to change back. I looked in the mirror again and my eyes were back to normal. Just the plan old pale green I was born with, the color I had inherited from my daddy.

I finally managed to drive myself to class and the smells of the town were still plaguing me. I can smell the garbage cans at the side of my tiny college, but I am all the way at the front door now. I heard the thumping steady all around me, like many bass beats sounding at many different tempos at once. I am gagging as I enter the halls and the perfumes stick in my throat and nose. I can smell the alcohol mixed in so strongly and all the other chemicals, like my nose is breaking down every single layer of every single scent in the building.

I finally find myself overwhelmed and I burst into the bathroom in a blur of desperation, but the scents here just make it worse. I make it into a stall and I begin to heave and heave, the thumping is still all around and I feel like I am going mad! After about ten minutes of heaving and barely hacking anything up, I recover myself enough to clean up in the sink. The water on my face seems to block some of the incoming scent information and I take a gasp of air into my desperate lungs. I feel my veins lighting up on fire again, but even worse than the time I was bitten now. I feel a surge of power come over me and I feel anger churn in me.