Chapter 2

I came to and as the fog lifted from my mind, the pain began to settle in again. I felt more bones were breaking and I tried to scream, but my voice came out in a partial howl. I startled myself with the sound and it made me look over my body.

I was stripped naked now, with a sheet covering me. I lifted the sheet and I saw my ribs poking at the top of my skin and black patches of fur beginning to sprout. I saw my legs bent backwards and now deformed more like a dog's back legs. I freaked out and I felt my heart rate sky rocket, I felt molten hot again and I fell to the floor. I heard the crash of the bed I was laying in. It had smashed around me somehow in my motion. It was splinters of wooden bits on the other end of the guest bed room looking place.

A man I had never seen before comes and sits beside me. He strokes his hand through my hair in a soothing motion. He is tall, but everyone is, when your five foot three. He looked over six feet, maybe six three. He was built like one of my martial arts masters, all super toned lean muscles. He said, "I am doctor Daemon Williams, you need to calm down, this transition is not going to be easy for you. Fear and excitement are only going to make the pain worse. I gave you as much time to rest as I could little one, but you are going to have to shift tonight, the moon is calling to you girl."

I felt like I had just stepped into a Steven King thriller now. I could make out his scent, it was not threatening to me. I knew I could have his throat if I so desired to. I don't know how I could smell all of that, but considering half my body was turning into a damn dog right now, I was sure that was the least crazy thing going on!

"Listen to me little one, you need to stop fighting the change, and you must just let it happen. I know you are lost and confused right now, but you have to do as I say, or you are going to tear yourself apart."

I felt my fear spike at this new bit of information; I could smell truth in his words, like I could smell the scent of him. I knew he was not lying to me, but it did not make any of this more real to my human mind!

I heard him mutter to himself, something like, "Alpha is going to have my hide for the bed."

All the words seemed to spin in my head now. Alpha, Transition, Shift, Moon Calling.

I was a vet student, but I was also a healthy young woman, so I read plenty of were wolf books. I know the damn jargon. This man and the two others from earlier all talked like this was common sense to them! I suddenly thought back to the light brown wolf that bit through my shoe three weeks ago. I remembered all the strange, but excusable moments I had had in the past three weeks. I remembered the scare tissue on my foot and how the doctor told me it was over two years old! I remembered the murderous wolf that bit me and all I could do was get anger and snarl in my fury at him.

I felt my rage become a thing of physical reality to me as my bones broke more and more. I no longer screamed, I just focused on my jaws snapping around the throat of that damn wolf who dared to harm me! Fury became my salvation and pain baptized me into fur slowly, but surely I felt every limb, every square inch of my body shift, snap and morph.

After three more hours nothing human remained of me and I ran free from the room, with a tan and white timber wolf following closely behind me. I knew he was Daemon, because he had Daemon's scent, just multiplied in its intensity many fold now that he was a wolf. I saw a deeply chocolate colored wolf, with vivid brown and yellow eyes howl on a nearby hill. She smelled like the girl that drove me here and she was a wolf to!